reslinging with spectra

Zenolith

i have some old rigid stem friends that all need new slings. i'd send them off to be reslung but they're old (late 80s) and i wonder if its worth it since i could just get some new tech friends or something and spend all this money i got. i've heard that you can use spectra for reslinging. I wonder if you could put half of the double fish on each side of the hole to keep the knot out of the way.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Zenolith, was that a joke? I've certainly been told many times to never tie a knot in spectra. I'm often skeptical of advise from the safety-freaks, but this is one that I believe; it is definitely much more slippery than nylon. Also, I don't think it is a good idea to seperate the knot on opposite sides of the stem (with any material), because I think the knot would come undone more easily.

Yes, you CAN use spectra for reslinging, but if you do I'd reccomend having it SEWN. There are several places that you can send them to to have it done.

A double loop of Bluewater Titan 5.5mm cord tied with a triple fisherman's knot will extend the life of your Friends without much damage to your wallet. It will also be totally bomber. Putting the knots either side of the stem hole would be bulky. A single loop of the cord tied with a double fisherman would also work great. Keep the tails kinda long (around 3 inches).

quote:

Originally posted by freeclimb9:
A double loop of Bluewater Titan 5.5mm cord tied with a triple fisherman's knot will extend the life of your Friends without much damage to your wallet. It will also be totally bomber. Putting the knots either side of the stem hole would be bulky. A single loop of the cord tied with a double fisherman would also work great. Keep the tails kinda long (around 3 inches).

To piggyback on my buddy FC9's post, one thing I have done with some metolious cams is this:

Get about 4' of your favorite techy cord, 6" of 1" tubular webbing, some dental floss and a stout needle.

Fold the tubular around the center of the cord, and hand stitch the EDGES of the tubular around the cord, being very careful not to catch the 5.5mm in the process. So you have a doubled layer of "padding" around a 6" section of cord. Loop this through your favorite camming device, tie the ends with a triple fishermans.

Now you have a loop, with a section of padding, tied through your cam. Slide the knot of the cord through the "tubular sheath" to position it about 3" from the cam stem. Now stitch the openings on either end of the tubular together to make a 3" (doubled) 'captive' loop for your cam.

The nifty thing with this setup is that you can clip it short for racking with one biner, then when you go to use it, you dont need a draw, just one biner. Save weight, simplicity, etc.

The cord is well padded by the tubular, and you can even use this for wire looped cams like Metolious and Wired Bliss. This (IMHO) is better than just slipping the cord through 9/16 webbing, b/c this way you get 2 layrs of padding, and it is much more tightly held on cord. If you are deathly interested, I can send you some pics of cams that I have done this too.

If you die, it is your own damn fault.... smile.gif" border="0

Cheers [big Drink]

Shawn