Voile Split Decision vs. Burton Frontier or Custom split board

fredrogers

I used a Voile split decision 173 for an attempt on S. Sister this weekend. I found it rode fairly well as a board, but doing anything other than climbing on the skis was incredibly difficult- the 6 mile ski out was miserable. Not to mention they felt VERY heavy. The binding and board set-up seemed to be a bit rinky-dink- glad I wasn't trying to re-assemble the board in sub-freezing temps.

Has any one out there had any experience with either of the Burton split boards and binding systems? Can you compare to the Split Decision?

TIA.

Fred.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't actually ridden the Burton board but I am debating on getting a split board and have talked to several people about them. Don't get a kit and make one. There is no inside edge and if you have to ski any hard pack you want the edge.

The Voile board is supposed to be easier to take apart and put back together but I didn't like the way it rode in hardersnow conditions.

The burton board is supposed to be a super stiff board that rides better than the Voile but the hard wear isn't as user friendly.

Ther is also a company called Prior Snowboards based out of Whistler that uses there own board with Voile hardwear. I think there Web address is Priorsnowboards.com. I've talked to them on the phone and they were extremely hhelpful.

Hope this helps.

I rented a Burton Split 66 not too long ago & have absolutely nothing bad to say about the way it rode in either soft or hard snow conditions. Duh! It's a Burton.

However, futsing around with the binding setup can be a royal pain in the ass...especially in freezing temps w/ limited fingertip feel. Also, the Burton setup allows for only one stance width. The Voiles & Priors on the other hand are adjustable. I've seen a friend use his Voile setup, & although it is possible to lose or break the pin it seems less of a hassle to convert from skis to board. If it's jammed with snow, you can kick the damn thing into place...not so w/ the Burton setup. Then again, on the plus side for Burton, there is no pin to lose as all parts are integrated into the binding system.

I would personally go for the Prior boards ( www.priorsnowboards.com )which might be slightly heavier but are torsionally stiffer than the Voile's. Priors use the Voile binding system. They are also a heck of a lot cheaper than Burton.

Splitters tend to be a drag when numerous ups & downs are involved. It is also impossible to ski w/ soft boots & bindings...though it may be possible w/ plate bindings & touring boots. Can't lock the heel down though.

Have ridden the burton a fair bit, and having owned the Voile, I'd say the Voile was the way to go. In typical Cascade conditons, the Burton sucks big time!!! It rides well enough, but getting the board together is sometimes next to impossible. I consistently have to wait 10-15 minutes for my friends with the Burtons, and only with two of us working on it are we able to lock it together. This is in typical winter conditons. In the spring time the burton goes together much easier. Still, there are other problems with the Burton. It isn't nearly as durable and the heel risers have the annoying tendency to flop down on long ascents. The only way to fix it is to stop, take the binding apart and bend the heel riser back in place. A very poor design all around compared to the Voile.

But everyone must realize, that no matter what split boards will never perform as well as tele/AT gear. Too wide to traverse well, and quite bad on rolly terrain (doesn't ski that well when split). Anyways, that's my two cents . . .

because you can go a hell of a lot farther (with much less effort) on skis than snowshoes. If you have ever tried to keep up with a pack of people on AT/tele gear while on snowshoes you'll know why split boards are the ticket for backcountry snowboarding.

I heard there is an article in Couloir magazine that says Burton and Voile were working together to make a better split board. Maybe in a year or two they'll get it right.

My Glissade and snowshoes are great for one day short trips but multi day or long approaches the split board has the definite advantage. [big Drink]

My 168 Glissade rides superb on hardpack and powder, I waste no time switching from clumsy skis to "snowboard mode", since it doesn't split in half. Torsionaly perfect, can't beat the dampening, no small pieces to fumble when wind is howling and fingers aren't working, reliable, and fairly light by comparison. Best ride on the market and isn't that why your going, to ride? Touring is for skiers. Why compromise? confused.gif" border="0