WTB: Snow pickets

deems

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

for inexpensive pickets, I head over to the Lowe's or Home Depot and buy lengths of 2" aluminum angle stock which I cut to length (aluminum is soft enough to cut with a skilsaw) and drill lightening holes. ain't pretty, but they're cheap and functional... and I never worry about losing or leaving one...

You could also pick up a few wands and tie them together with wire. Those are really light and cheap.

If you don't want to buy bamboo for wands you can pick up sticks on the approach or drive in to climb. Just knot the rope to these from time to time.

If you don't want to carry sticks you could just tie a rock into your rope and bury that once in a while.

You can also just use the rope from Fred Meyer, I hear the polypropylene is really cheap and holds up to 400 pounds in 3/8. You weigh less than 400 pounds, so that's plenty strong. Plus the bright yellow shows up well in snow and doesn't soak up water like that crazy nylon.

Hey jaee

why bother with Freddy's rope when you can lay up your own out of sisal twine? directions can be found in old editions of the Boy Scout handbook, or the BSA pioneering merit badge pamphlet. we used to lay up 2" thick hawsers and build monkey bridges across the Teton River back in the day. tried your wand and wire idea, but my hammer doesn't have a big enough head to achieve uniform penetration of the wands... but burying the bundle deadman-style would probably work - is that what you meant?