Rockfall in the Country

Sol

I heard there was some major rockfall from orc tower that has littered the country with lots or rocks, boulders, and dust. don't know of any bolt/route damage yet, but people should use this thread to post any observations or concerns.

:brew:

Sol

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's pretty crazy there. Lots of the light stuff dropped by Zoom, including one rock that, had anyone been belaying when the rock fell, would have been thoroughly killed. The biggest rock, that I would guess would weigh in at 1 ton, cratered out into the dirt road about 100 feet out from the rock. There's a tree whose top 15 feet is in the middle of the old parking area while what's left of it is still about 100 feet up the cliff and horizontal. Climbing on Zoom or Kite Flying Blind would have felt like having your head in a Guillatine today.

I didn't see any damage to the lower routes. It was so wet when we started today that it wasn't worth going up... not to mention climbing under recent rockfall seemed less than prudent.

There should be more news tomorrow.

Doug T

Caution! there are 2 large trees above zoom, hanging by whatever! There is also at least one boulder size of a human torso, right at the edge of a small ledge. All this stuff is hanging right above Zoom area. We saw some guys climbing there last afternoon. i don't think the helmets they were wearing would be a much of help! Till this crap is down on the ground I would recommend staying away from Orc Tower and all the climbs under the hangers.