Two Interesting Articles That Mattp...

JayB

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that's an especially good summary of the first author's point, but I'd encourage you - since you are not mattp - to invest some time in reading the second article and see if you can identify the manner in which it relates to the first.

Since we're on the topic of things that mattp will never read, I'd encourage you to read "The Looming Tower, " by Lawrence Wright as well.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/06/books/review/06filkins.html?ex=1182571200&en=0c490c225671cad4&ei=5070

Q4T. I picked up 'Looming Tower' based on an earlier recommendation by JayB. I thought Mr. Wright's approach was quite balanced. Unlike many post 911 authors, left and right, he didn't appear to have an axe to grind, and he did a great job of guiding the reader through a rather complex cast of characters (especially complex for folks like me to whom the names are all very unfamiliar and difficult to remember/distinguish). All in all, a very frightening book.

JayB reads, and posts links from, the Guardian but still mocks the left?

Come out of the closet Mr. Cruise! :wave:

It's because I frequently read The Guardian and other publications like it that I mock the Left.

It's quite a shame that LeMonde would never deign to publish an english edition....

If the right had any publications worth reading I'd have something to mock!

Le Monde is centrist, Libération is leftist, Le Figaro is conservative. You may agree with Le Figaro given it's denigration of France's taxation and workforce regulation. Of course Serge did build an Islamic cultural center as well :wave:

Oooh, there's poetry too? Puh-lease! :rolleyes:

"Why boasteth thyself, oh evil men,

Playing smart and not being clever?

I say you're working iniquity to achieve vanity, yeah,

But the goodness of JAH JAH endureth forever.

If you are the big tree,

We are the small axe.

Sharpened to cut you down,

Ready to cut you down.

These are the words of my master.

Keep on telling me

No weak heart shall prosper,

Oh, no they can't.

And whosoever diggeth a pit, Lord,

Shall fall in it, shall fall in it.

Whosoever diggeth a pit shall bury in it,

Shall bury in it.

If you are the big tree,

We are the small axe

Sharpened to cut you down,

Ready to cut you down.

And whosoever diggeth a pit shall fall in it, fall in it.

Whosoever diggeth a pit shall bury in it, shall bury in it.

If you have a big tree,

We have a small axe

Ready to cut you down,

Sharpened to cut you down.

If you are the big tree,

we are the small axe

Ready to cut you down,

Sharpened to cut you down."

ps.

I picked up 'Looming Tower' based on an earlier recommendation by JayB. I thought Mr. Wright's approach was quite balanced. Unlike many post 911 authors, left and right, he didn't appear to have an axe to grind, and he did a great job of guiding the reader through a rather complex cast of characters (especially complex for folks like me to whom the names are all very unfamiliar and difficult to remember/distinguish). All in all, a very frightening book.

+1.

Thanks for the recommendation JayB.

Jay:

do you have a point or are you simply taunting?

I trust that you will continue to make it for me whenever the topics addressed in either of the articles, but especially the second of the two, come up for discussion.

You seem happy in your world. I trust that you will continue to confine your reading to whatever has endowed you with your current perspective.