Raod to Deception Pass TH (Mt Daniel)?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was up there on June 3rd. The only obstacle was a washout at Scatter Creek, ~3 miles(?) from the trailhead. We walked from there, but others with big trucks (and one Ford Explorer) were able to drive through the creek.

Here is a picture from the morning, at low flow.

Ready_33.jpg

Josh at cascadecrusades.org has a picture of the creek at the end of the same day, at much higher flow (daytime snowmelt).

The road is now passable to most vehicles.

There is still a slightly deep water crossing at Scatter Creek.

I didn't try to cross it with my Toyota Paseo but a car similar to mine made it.

The extra three miles along the lake is a nice stoll anyway.

Went up to East Daniel over the weekend. Packed up Friday about noon and left the trailhead about 3. A Subaru gave me a ride from Scatter Creek as I was not sure my car would make it through.

I wandered slowly up to Peggy's pond and bivy'd about 9PM. The weather was overcast and I was right at snow level. The snow was still a few feet deep but melting quickly.

The next morning I woke to partly cloudy skies and rolled out of bed. There were two guys below me by the tracks. After they left, I packed up and headed up too. It warmed up quickly as the clouds parted. The snow was still soft under a one inch crust and the crust was melted by 10AM. I followed some old tracks up the bottom and cut into the newer tracks at the top of the circ at the base of East Daniel.

Girls_and_Mt_Daniel_june_2007_020.JPG

From there they cut up right and gained the ridge. They then cut back onto the face and continued up.

Girls_and_Mt_Daniel_june_2007_021.JPG

I cut straight up without going to the ridge to avoid the bergschrund they negotiated. We met on top and they turned back soon after. Was it my breath? I was on my way to Marmot lake so I dropped off the west side.

Girls_and_Mt_Daniel_june_2007_026.JPG

When I got down to where I could see the notch to Marmot it was clear that it was not an option. The snow was way too soft on steep slab. So I bivied and waited for the next day.

Girls_and_Mt_Daniel_june_2007_028.JPG

The next day dawned grey and overcast. There was a dusting of snow.

Girls_and_Mt_Daniel_june_2007_029.JPG

In spite of the colder weather, the crust was still only an inch and a half thick with 3 inches of slush below. Besides that it was often almost zero visibility. So I dropped off the east side in the circ north of Peggy's pond. There were some interesting route finding problems complete with waterfalls, a bear den, and the obvious wet cliff bands.

Eventually, I ended up at Hyas Lake where I built a fire and dried out. My legs are tired and all my gear is wet.

Success.

Edited by Bug