[TR] Adams - Southwest Chutes 6/18/2007

fheimerd

Trip: Adams - Southwest Chutes

Date: 6/18/2007

Trip Report:

Drove out to cold springs thru the gorge last night and bivied at the trailhead. It was one of those beautiful evenings to take a drive all the while dreaming of fresh buttery corn for the next day.

At 4:30 I heard the first skiers march off and I figured I'd better get started, 5:07 on the trail. I saw 8 people on the south side all day...a nice break from crowds you can sometimes get up there. There were a couple hard snow/icy sections that made me want my crampoons but since I left them at home I just carried on. All in all the snow was firm and easy to walk up. Summited at 11:45 and was at the chutes at 12:00.

I was hoping for corn but it looked like i'd be skiing chunky rime for a bit. As I committed to the run I just knew it would get better. Sure suf 500ft down it turn to hardpack. Much better than rime. Then slowly, ever so slowly as I dropped in elevation the snow got softer, smoother, and then Cascade buttery perfection for the last 2000ft of the chute :moondance:. After that the skiing went to shit. I pity the fool that skis the dirt :mistat:

Took off the skis and hiked around till I found the trail and 1.5 hours later was at the car. Back in p-town by 5:00 to shower and pick up my daughter from daycare at 6:00. Not a bad to take off of work.

Gear Notes:

forgot the crampoons, gloves and ski crampoons.

Realized I didn't really need all that shit anyway.

Approach Notes:

approach cautiously

Edited by fheimerd

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic