Ski Poles

Whilst skiing with ru486 and crackhead I got stoned and dropped a pole into a creek. It's gone. I need to find replacement poles and WILL NOT get Life Links ever again. Any thoughts? I'm considering the idea that probe poles are not the answer to having a probe since they take too long to convert and they also don't pack as well as an expedition type pole. Poles that are easy to adjust when frozen would be nice.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've also heard it said that probe poles do not work for probing avalanche debris because the taper is wrong fpr hard-set avalanche debris. This may well be true: if you look at avalanche probes you will notice that they do not have skinny tips tapering toward a fatter middle section. The probe poles make a nice tent pole, though.

quote:

Originally posted by crack addict:
avy tar,

never fear, while i was out fishing for doubt trout on roover river (downstream from dick's ridge) i noticed your pole floating past. i send it your way pronto.

crackman

Muy appriciato crackhombre. Wow, being on dick's ridge was sooo violent. I'm glad you didn't loose your pants.

That's right Mattp! An avalanche probe's head is bigger than its shaft allowing easy pull out. A lifelink's shaft, when joined, is fattest in the middle, often resulting in separation at that point. That's why I went to carrying a probe some years ago. I was told that the Mountaineers Backcountry Ski group requires dedicated avy probes for that reason.