I Need a belay Jacket

IceIceBaby

Golite Six Month Night Ultra-Lite, Wild things Belay Jacket, Patagonia DAS parka, Marmot Belay parkaI need to know if any of you had any experience with the above and if there is preference to any of the above I need a belay Jacket that is the lightest and the lowest balk possible confused.gif" border="0

[ 02-07-2002: Message edited by: IceIceBaby ]

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MEC Belay Overparka is neither particularily light nor non-bulky but it IS damn warm, wate resistant and on sale for $200 CDN now - end of season clearance - they only got L sizes left. I have one and its the shit, like the "Negator" jo jo and twight talk about.

I checked out all of those. The Golite was by far the bulkiest (when packed), the Marmot was cut like a circus tent. Of the Wild Things and the Patagonia I liked the cut and packability of the Wild Things, so I bought that one. Wild Things is the only one made with Primaloft which is more compressible than the Polarguard used in the other jackets. According to the web sites the weights are as follows:

Wild Things 28 ozGo Lite 34 ozMarmot 32ozPatagonoia N/A

[ 02-07-2002: Message edited by: danielpatricksmith ]

[ 02-07-2002: Message edited by: danielpatricksmith ]

• 3 weeks later...

I have the related Wild Things Denali - same basic concept as the Belay Parka, but with a w/b shell (mine's ancient, so the shell is Gore-tex; last time I looked they were using Sympatex). I can second DP Smith's comments. Put this sucker on and I warm up right away. And no matter how much spindrift falls down my neck I stay that way. Just check the sizing before you buy...

lightweight and low bulk, go for a down w/ wb shell, unless your doing lots of 5 day trips I think you'd be okay. none of the synthetic jackets pack up "small"- but primaloft is supposed to compress more than other synthetics, I don't think there's that much of a diff- LL Bean used to sell "belay" style primaloft jackets with hoods for cheap! I wouldn't take it to AK with me but it likes Cascade nights just fine- as to my edit, I went and looked at LLbean.com and it looks like they've discontinued making it- which a lot of manufacturers do with even quality clothing and gear that doesn't meet their sales goals-

[ 02-28-2002: Message edited by: Beck ]