freeclimb9

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

freeclimb9

I am pretty sure that the old Mixed Master had a frame, I think one or two simple stays, and the Ice Pack does not. It has a foam pad (removable).

I am not positive of this, but my buddy has the old Mixed Master and I was thinking about buying one right when the new Ice Pack came out. I remember comparing his to the new one and liked the idea of a light frame.

Don't rely on this, check it out further.

My buddy loves his mixed master.

Good luck

The old Mixed Master was about the size of the larger Ice Pack. Had a framesheet with two narrow stays as well as a trifold piece of thin closed-cell foam. Two compression straps, the crampon pocket, tool tubes and a vertical access zipper down one side. Fabrics appear the same as current Ice Packs, except that the back of a MM was soem sort of textured material that gathered snow; current Ice Packs have plain cordura back there. If memory hasn't shorted out the MM came in 3 back lengths, making it easy to get a fit.

I used to have a Mixed Master, which was a reasonably nice pack. Comfortable, fit me pretty well, reasonable capacity. I used mine for most of a winter without the frame sheet, and the carry was still as good as any soft pack I've used. The current Ice Pack 50L is probably pretty close to the Mixed Master, but check the fit before buying; I think the Ice Packs come in only one back length.

Word straight from the pack designer at BD is that the Ice pack comes in two sizes which strangely are designed to fit two different back sizes. I have the 45L pack and whined about it being uncomfortable for heavy loads. He told me to get the 50L version.

I dont know squat about the mixed master.

The ice pack hip belt is removeable and the frame pad is removeable as well. Trifold design folds out into a short bivy pad. Its not very thick so I was thinking about slicing up a ridgerest and seeing how that works.

I really like my ice pack but it sucks for carrying skis. Also, just because it has a huge collar on it, don't be tempted to pack your keg in it.

Rob