[TR] Argonaut - NE Couloir 5/29/2007

JasonG

Trip: Argonaut - NE Couloir

Date: 5/29/2007

Trip Report:

Just more of a conditions update for those eyeing this route in the next few weeks. I don't have a lot to add to the excellent trip reports already out there.

After a hard freeze Sunday night we found quite icy conditions on Monday including a couple short sections of water ice. A couple of screws would have been nice, as would steel crampons and a second tool. As it was, everything worked fine as you can find some good rock gear on the sides (and we cut a few steps with our single axes- Ome style). Of course, if you can boot up the thing, you probably don't need anything but an axe- it's maybe 45-50 degrees at the steepest. The rock pitch we did to get to the upper snowfield was not much harder than 5.0 and pretty fun. We were the first party to sign in this year, although I wouldn't be surprised if some non register signing hardperson had preceded us. ;)

We descended the east gully and hiked up to the top of Colchuck before heading to the lake and out. I think it took us a few minutes over 13 hours car to car. Fun route and most certainly recommended! I suspect with the warm weather it won't be continuous snow and ice for long . . .

Jason

Gear Notes:

single axe, aluminum crampons, some wires and tri-cams.

Approach Notes:

Stay near the creek and cross below the forks. A little bit of brush and you are in the basin below Argonaut pretty quick

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic