baggage insurance

armin

Has anybody experience with baggage insurance when going on a trip? The only one I found online is provided by STA travel, but it covers only up to 1500 USD. I would like to have a bit more for all the gear.

Thanks for your input.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when I bought my plane ticket last week, the baggage insurance they offered covered me while I was on my trip..it was only about 1500 as you say with a largish deductible, the rest is supposed to be covered by your homeowners insurance.

or just climb all the time and dont leave your gear anywhere, I plan on shipping my gear home when im done with it

It's definitely worth some kind of coverage. While travelling in New Zealand in 2005, I had $2,000 worth of gear nabbed from our rental van! I was foolish enough to hope that nothing would happen. When it did, I had to eat the loss... OUCH!

It's definitely worth some kind of coverage. While travelling in New Zealand in 2005, I had $2,000 worth of gear nabbed from our rental van! I was foolish enough to hope that nothing would happen. When it did, I had to eat the loss... OUCH!

that's fucking stupid is what that is. I amend my earlier post to reflect that it's totally not necessary unless you are going to be a moron.

• 1 month later...

I ended up buying travel insurance from STA Travel (Council Travel on University Way in Seattle), also available online. It cost me 100 USD for 22 days and included health insurance, travel accident protection and baggage protection for up to 1500 USD amongst other things.

cheers

Armin

Include your names inside the bags as well as outside and self insure. Ensure you have reasonably long stopovers at each of your connections.

Your bag is more likely to be delayed than lost, though both are relatively rare.

Good advice save for the last comment. British Airways recently installed a new baggage handling system at Gatwick and proceded to misplace/lose over 10,000 pieces of luggage. Three weeks later, my bag still has not been located. They provide replacement coverage for up to $1200 and have an allowance for replacing items during your trip until your bag is recovered.

Almost all airlines offer credit cards where you can earn mileage awards--AMEX does as well. Cashing in those miles can be challenging.