A woman's worth

archenemy

If stay at home parents were really this busy, there would be absolutely no way a workign parent could get everything done, but somehow they do.

Working partents "get everything done" b/c someone else raises their children 8-10 hours per day.

Really? Tell that to all the single moms and dads out there...

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And moms do get vacations, time off, benefits through their spouses if they are married, etc.

And as a contractor, I don't get paid vacation or matching 401 or sick time or any of that. I ain't bitching b/c I chose that. Same as a mother made that choice.

how is this so? i have yet to meet a man who can breast feed a child and if he can, thank god there is finaly a way to share the buren. i have been called home from trips, from the dr's office, because there was something up with the kids. thier needs always come before mine.

when i was married my husband worked all the time and hwen he wasn't at work he was doing his own thing. he hung out with the kids on occasion, but that never once meant i stoped thinking abou the boys or worrying about them, i was and am always on call.

My wife stays home with our 6 mo. old. I've never seen her more spent. She straight up busts her ass, and the attention she provides our baby is worth 10X the amount listed in that article . . . not to mention all the other shit she does.

But I suppose she's not really tired because she really doesn't do anything. She's just an attention-seeker, right Seahawk?

Huh??? I never knocked on a mother. I said the person that wrote the article was. Which is true. Most people who want to draw attention to what they do are attention- seekers. Being a stay at home Mom is fricking hard. I couldn't do it.

Edited by Seahawks

Anyone with a semblence of basic economic training could poke a million holes in that ridiculous article, but why bother when everyone knows it's bullshit...

What's more interesting is people who say being a stay at home mom is harder than working for a living. That baffles me. My wife stays at home with a 4 year old and a 1 year old, and she says it's the easiest thing she's ever had to do; even easier than being a teenager because there's no homework.

It ain't 24-7: the kids sleep like 12 hours a day, I play with them for four hours each night.

If she wants a vacation, she takes one and I watch the kids. You could also hire a nanny for a week.

The way she describes her job is: "I get to play with my kids all day."

Edited by PLC

If stay at home parents were really this busy, there would be absolutely no way a workign parent could get everything done, but somehow they do.

Working partents "get everything done" b/c someone else raises their children 8-10 hours per day.

thats what school is for ;) it's a place to stash the kids while i go to work. then i go home, make dinner, help the kids with homework, get them clean and into bed with reading time and then i clean the house. I get to bed about 12, and get up between 4 and 6 depending on the day and the hours i work.

seriously it is so much easier now. once they are 5 it gets a ton easier. of course neither of mine is a teen yet, so we will see :sick:

I understand where you're coming from Arch, and I can only imagine how difficult being a single parent is. My point is that single parents or couples w/ two working parents can "get everything done", in fenderfour's terms, because the children are usually in daycare or otherwise supervised by someone else.

Anyone with a semblence of basic economic training could poke a million holes in that ridiculous article, but why bother when everyone knows it's bullshit...

What's more interesting is people who say being a stay at home mom is harder than working for a living. That baffles me. My wife stays at home with a 4 year old and a 1 year old, and she says it's the easiest thing she's ever had to do; even easier than being a teenager because there's no homework.

It ain't 24-7: the kids sleep like 12 hours a day, I play with them for four hours each night.

If she wants a vacation, she takes one and I watch the kids. You could also hire a nanny for a week.

Don't know if my wife would describe it this way and we have a 5 and 3 year old. When I get home she is spent. Then again most of that is her fault becuase she is a perfectionist.

Edited by Seahawks

will you marry me?

i go home, make dinner, help the kids with homework, get them clean and into bed with reading time and then i clean the house. I get to bed about 12, and get up between 4 and 6 depending on the day and the hours i work.

First - stop with the homework. It's a useless waste of time. I never did any, and my kids will never do any. Life is too short for busy work.

Second - don't clean the house so much. Do an hour less housework and sleep an extra hour. Is it really going to make a difference?

Finally, you get to play with your kids for a few hours each night. This is work?

edit - the last statement sounded condescending, and that wasn't my intent. I'm just saying that getting to spend time with your kids should be a joy, not a burden.

Edited by PLC

will you marry me?

Unfortunately, I'm already married to the perfect woman, and I will always be married to her through the end of time.

I really don't understand dad's who don't like to play with their kids. The best parts of my day are waking up early to make breakfast with my son (my wife gets breakfast in bed each morning), and then the hours of 6-10pm when I play with the kids and put them to bed while my wife gets a chance to relax.

What it the world is more fun than playing with kids?

i go home, make dinner, help the kids with homework, get them clean and into bed with reading time and then i clean the house. I get to bed about 12, and get up between 4 and 6 depending on the day and the hours i work.

First - stop with the homework. It's a useless waste of time. I never did any, and my kids will never do any. Life is too short for busy work.

Second - don't clean the house so much. Do an hour less housework and sleep an extra hour. Is it really going to make a difference.

Finally, you get to play with your kids for a few hours each night. This is work?

i am not really a "play" kind of mom. i am good for a band aid and hugs and reading and some colouring. a little play dough... but i had 2 kids for a reason. they play together.

i think this is an area where many people make a mistake. they spend too much time entertaining their children instead of allowing the child to learn to entertain them selves.

for me most of the is not even an issue any more. my boys are big.

I will not stop having them do homework. that is just sillieness. more power to you and i hope with your alternative view you find an alternative education for your kids. be it home schooling or some other option.

will you marry me?

Unfortunately, I'm already married to the perfect woman, and I will always be married to her through the end of time.

I really don't understand dad's who don't like to play with their kids. The best parts of my day are waking up early to make breakfast with my son (my wife gets breakfast in bed each morning), and then the hours of 6-10pm when I play with the kids and put them to bed while my wife gets a chance to relax.

I love this guy.

Your wife is the smartest woman in the world--she made the right choice.

will you marry me?

you have to be kidding me. this has to be some kind of troll or something :confused:

...the real consequence to fucking up as a mom is you rais a psycopath.

It takes a lot of f*cking up to raise a psycho. Assholes and shit heads are easy to crank out, but it takes some focused effort to produce a psycho.

I am not down on stay at home mothers, I am down on articles that try to quantify it and then tell us working folk that a stay at home mom is worth more economically than we are. Bullshit.

True dat

will you marry me?

I love this guy.

okay i admit it,

i am bitter :grin:

Muffy - sorry about coming off like an ass... I do that sometimes.

Anyway, I didn't really mean "playing" (although I do spend a ton of time building sandcastles, riding the zip-line in our backyard, etc.). To me, teaching my son to read is "play". Making up funny stories is "play". Even getting to change my daughters diapers is "play". It's a chance to spend time with the people I love. There is no "work" in it at all...

Yeah the article is BS.

I'm sure it's hard to be a parent, working or not. But it's really easy to be a bad parent. You can see them everywhere, letting their kids run around public places screaming and out of control, and the parents helplessly follow and pick up after them...I see this all over the place.

for the record i don't think that tacking a $ amount to what moms do is pheasable or even smart. for me that article is reduculas.

i did not think it was easy being a stay at home mom. but i did it becuase i felt it was the right thing to do for my children. I don't miss it. I am glad i did it.

if it were valid at all i want my back pay ;)

Actually, I think I'm the lucky one - she is WAAAAY better looking that me, she's smarter than me, she's nicer than me, she's friendlier than me... she coudl do a lot better and I work hard every single day to never let her realize it!