Third tool?

Terminal_Gravity

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Terminal Gravity,

The Grivel Third Tool is not bad as a second tool on sixty to seventy degree terrain. I love it for steep summer Cascade stuff. However, on water ice you may as well be using a toothpick. The blade is rather short and does not bite well at all. This is not a tool I'd want to have as a back-up after breaking the pick on one of my more beefy tools.

Jason

Terminal Gravity,From the sounds of it you were probably looking at the Simond Super Fox. Nice third tool with a replacable pick. Hard to find in the states like most Simond Products which I think is pretty sad. If it does not come back up on Barrabe's I would check with MEC, maybe some of our Canadian friends could help you out.

http://www.simond.com/pagesa/english.htm

Good Luck,

Wes

quote:

Originally posted by Terminal Gravity:
Can anyone recommend a functional but small (40ish cm) ice hammer that is light, preferably way under a pound.

I saw the perfect one at Barrabes. It was yellow and black. I did not copy down info and now it is not on the site.

confused.gif" border="0

yellow and black 3rd tools i know of are simond super fox (probably the one you think of) and quasar compact 3rd, which prob weighs more than 1 lb.