Mountain Hardwear Chugach

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year I almost got this jacket but I went with the Wild Things primaloft jacket instead and am very happy with it. From what I remember I went with the Primaloft because it dries quicker than the Polarguard, and that the design of the Wild Things was just really simple and clean, and slightly lighter.

I don't have the MH Chugach, but I've got a Marmot Trango Sweater (very similar design and also Polarguard 3D). I've also got an MEC vest with Primaloft. I'd opt for Primaloft vs. Polarguard 3D. The 3D is supposed to be more durable, but I feel the Primaloft is much warmer and less bulky. Both have served me well though.

I've had my Chugach for about a year now and I love it. I would totally recommend Polarguard over any short staple fibre (Primaloft). I've packed out about three Liteloft/Primaloft bags from MEC and they're getting pretty pissed off at me for returning them! (I'm supposedly on their "blacklist") You can take anything back there! A buddy of mine who works there often describes their return policy to customers as:"if you've got and old stained couch, bring it back and say you bought it here." But this should be another thread altogether! I totally recommend the Chugach for 3 season belays but if you're at all doing anything in the winter, you'll want a hood. Get the Patagucci DAS, it rocks! The Chugach fits well and is quite toasty.

quote:

Originally posted by jordo:
You can take anything back there! A buddy of mine who works there often describes their return policy to customers as:"if you've got and old stained couch, bring it back and say you bought it here."

Hmm... I think their return policy is a little more stringent than REI. I returned a goretex shell, because the goretex was rubbing off inside after less than a year. They accepted it, but said I couldn't return a jacket again for the same reason, because that was normal wear.

A woman beside me was trying to return a shell that she couldn't get a stain out of. They would only refund a certain percentage of the jacket's cost to her.

Anyway, to remain on topic, I've got the Chugach pants, and I like them so far. I wore them a lot in Alaska sitting around base camp.