Kayland Revolution

carolyn

Anyone ever heard of or used Kayland Revolution boots?

I havent actually had a chance to try them on yet...they dont have them in my size right now. frown.gif" border="0

The store Im doing some work for is getting a womens version (which is supposably much lighter) in a week or two.

Never heard of the company, but the boots have been highly reccomended (if they fit properly) by a few people in the store.

Killer deal on the inverno's tho...One size left...my size! grin.gif" border="0 closeout sale...$229- discount for working the weekend AND the paycheck I make.I would definately come out ahead with money to spare. cool.gif" border="0[big Drink]cool.gif" border="0 I wore them around the store for a while tonight and I liked them a lot more than Koflachs!

I will be trying out all my top selections on their ice tower before making a final decision in the next few weeks.

Info on Kayland would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

[ 11-08-2001: Message edited by: carolyn ]

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a better idea...

Instead of spending $229 on Infernos: -take twenty bucks-go down to the local hardware store-buy two large buckets-buy one bag of concrete mix-add water and mix

The cement boots will work just as well...

Koflachs:- buy two jumbo sized sponges -carve a slot out of the middle for your foot-now you've got homemade Koflachs

No realy, when black diamond quites making something it's usually for a good reason. Those waffle stompers are so stiff that they will give you bruises. And hell if you could even stem in them let alone high step...

If you have your heart set on plastic boots (and have mid-narrow feet)- save for Lowa Civettas. Or look for an cheap old pair of the green ones.

I hear Kayland makes good boots as well. tongue.gif" border="0

[ 11-08-2001: Message edited by: lambone ]

Black Diamond does not make Scarpas, just distributes them. Black Diamond has a track record of making innovative products that are popular with many climbers, then discontinuing them for no apparent reason. (fin gate 'biners, carbon fiber Black Prophets, etc). Oh yeah, and my Pulsars were WAY better than my Shrikes. Those tools bite.

[ 11-09-2001: Message edited by: danielpatricksmith ]

[ 11-09-2001: Message edited by: danielpatricksmith ]

Unsure what exactly the revolution is.

I have climbed quite a bit in Kayland Giove Kevlars. They're an insulated single boot with an outer fabric not entirely dissimilar to that used on some Technica models. They fit me very well out of the box. Very light weight. Medium warmth, which means I get cold toes on longer belays at -10C or lower. Enough flex to make them quite good on rock. Low toe profile. Medium heel width. Initially I doubted that they'd be stiff enough for hard ice but they're OK. Primary negative points: I'd like to see more cushioning foam used under the forefoot for long approaches and find the boots a bit sweaty. I'd also prefer more ankle support at times, for example when descending very steep frozen snow facing outwards. Primary strong points: Very light weight. Material doesn't stretch when it gets wet. Small profile. In a sense they feel like K3's with a softer upper.

GB

ya, those shoes look pretty sweet beck. We are raffeling off a pair to those who demo the boots on the ice wall. (lucky dawgs!) And I did check backpacker last night while doing a search...only thing I found were some hiking boots...and then checked out Kayland

I wore an older version of the boots tonight (I think they were the kevlars, fishstick) outside for about 7 hrs...roughly 40 degrees. My toes started getting chilled the last hour or so (and yes they were the right size - the fit was GREAT). Concerns me a bit since right now Im in MN and I will be spending a lot of time outside in zero or below temps.

They worked wonderfully on the vertical ice wall. Stiff, yet when walking around in them, they didnt feel much different then a good pair of hiking boots-lots of support, yet flexible. I would highly reccomend checking them out if you are looking into boots. price for the revolutions are about $350.

[ 11-09-2001: Message edited by: carolyn ]

Chiming in on Kayland, I've got some of their scramble shoes and think they are the best set of approach shoes I've ever laid eyes on- The quality is top notch as well, I'd give Kayland products a big thumbs up!

Backpacker had a short review on Kayland Revolutions in the last year or so, you might want to do an archive search at Backpacker.com