[TR] S. Sister, - Devil's Hill Approach / S. Ridg

matty_g

Trip: S. Sister, - Devil's Hill Approach / S. Ridge

Date: 4/28/2007

Trip Report:

After discussing Backcountry options with Schralper and Timmay on Thursday, Highangle Mark, the Oakie, Smokin Evan and I decided to into S. sister on Friday with the hopes of some sweet spring corn. As Timmay just posted, what we got Sat. AM was a bit grey at first, but lots of fun was had by all.

All the pics are at :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/70045397@N00/sets/72157600160555243

but the summary is as follows:

We got into Devil's Hill on Snow-mo's with good coverage still along the Cascade Lakes Hwy. Ditched the sleds, and began the fun skin up Devil's Hill, with a camp at the bench above Moraine Lake.

478527238_00fb540eaa.jpg

Before bedtime, we hit up a little wave of snow for some good drop-ins:

478544657_38da104400.jpg

478544931_760e0c9bfe.jpg

The next morning, we got up around 4:20 :crosseye:, and headed up to the summit. The snow was very firm, and crampons made the final pitch to the top a little easier. We waited at the top out of the wind below the N. Wall for things to corn up. Here's me coming up from our perch using the infamous "Bigfoot Belay"

478543565_47a3a2a978.jpg

The ski down was firm for the first pitch, then after a bit more waiting :crosseye:, we decided to head down for the rest of the corn. Evan got this nice line:

478529382_9fc5f284db.jpg

Which I shot from above:

[gvideo]7037348223168383507[/gvideo]

Gear Notes:

Bubbler, crampons, splitboard and skins

Approach Notes:

Sno-mo to Devil's Hill, skin to Moraine Lake, camp and skin / hike to the summit...

Edited by gapertimmy

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

very nice matt. schralper said he saw you dudes heading that way on friday... nice!

I fixed up your image links above so we could see the stoke. My buddy cletus calls that line 'the birth canal'. definately one of the cool lines on the south side.

as for the NW side of s sister.... there might be some cool lines there too

478538916_610137c280.jpg

Thanks for the beta photo!

We were sitting at the top of your photo, lookin down on those lines, but it kind of looked more like this to us - A Big cornice, a steep rollover, then nothing....

SSister07_086.jpg

Here's your SE Ridge, lookin all primed up and ready - Looks like we may have to wait out another pow cycle with more laps at Bachey before we return to the super corn...

SSister07_073.jpg

Edited by matty_g

f*ck both you bitches. Next time i let go of the sled and it will come careening towards you out of control. My ab muscles still aren't the same after that incident. That's what you get for trying to "be like Schralper"

Jumping cornices on a board is way safer.

Kurt, both the Silver and N. face coul. are in that photo, just hard to tell. And they're both kinda wandery anyways. Looked like some mixed moves in there to me. And not as steep as the photo.

JL