Does Anyone Have Raynaud's Phenomenon.

iluka

Does anyone out there have Raynaud's Phenomenon? (fingers and toes turn blue, red or white in response to exposure to cold temperatures).

I'm looking to see if anyone with the problem has spent time climbing at altitudes above 5,000 feet and to see what their experience has been, including whether they had more attacks of the problem, more or less severe symptoms etc.

If you don't feel like sharing the info in the forum, please send a PM.

No spray please.

Andy

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

No but my sweetie does. She found a treatment that is supposed to work but she has not been disciplined about it. She is a Physical Therapist and thought the treatment was recommended buy a reliable source. Here it is;

Sit out in cold temps with little or nothing on and keep your affected extemities in warm water or wrapped in heating pads. The idea is, your body will be trained to increase circulation to the extremeties when the core feels cold.

Good luck!

I have a mild case of it. My brother has a pretty severe case and i climb with a woman who also has a severe case. I've been above 20,000 three times and never had a problem (I climb above 5000 all the time). My brother recently visited for a ski trip and had a hard time - although he is not used to the cold and did not layer properly. My friend has been to high altitude a number of times and I've shared a couple cold bivy spots with her and her hands have never been a problem.

Carry hand warmers and a pair of gloves one size too large to aid in warming up your fingers and you'll be fine.

My wife has it and she took some medication that helped quite a bit. If I recall, it was nifedipine? Don't have any still around, so that's a guess. But I think a trip to your doctor might yield some positive results. She was really surprised how much it helped.