Hennessey Hammock

allthumbs

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

German guy sharing my site in camp4 had one. I tried it out, and it's comfy if you're a back-sleeper (I'm not). Getting in and out is a little weird the first time or two, but it's way light, the fly works but I'd hate to see it in a serious storm. It seems like a perfect solution for a go-light summer trip for a back sleeper...tent,fly, and no pad necessary...unless, of course, you're going above treeline...even then if you have your rack it shouldn't be a problem. What do those things cost anyway?

I think they are about $150 at REI.

Seriously, though, at one point I was considering this as an alternative lightweight shelter. The things that really turned me off were: [1] As Will said, you have to be a back sleeper - I'm not. [2] Unless you're in the tropics, you DO need insulation under you (Hennessy recommends a space blanket, but that will rip right off with any significant wind). So you're back to carrying a pad - not much different than using a bivy bag on the ground. And [3] location requirements - you may find an ideal spot for the hammock which happens to be above ground that none of your buddy's could pitch a tent on, so you'll spend the night alone. Or, if you're above tree line, you may have nothing to hang it from.

Unless you get claustrophobic, IMHO a bivy is much better in the alpine environment. And if there's more than one of you, a lightweight tent for 2 or 3 can be just as weight-economical as bivies (or hammocks) for each.

quote:

Originally posted by Jman:

I think they are about $150 at REI.

Seriously, though, at one point I was considering this as an alternative lightweight shelter. The things that really turned me off were: [1] As Will said, you have to be a back sleeper - I'm not. [2] Unless you're in the tropics, you DO need insulation under you (Hennessy recommends a space blanket, but that will rip right off with any significant wind). So you're back to carrying a pad - not much different than using a bivy bag on the ground. And [3] location requirements - you may find an ideal spot for the hammock which happens to be above ground that none of your buddy's could pitch a tent on, so you'll spend the night alone. Or, if you're above tree line, you may have nothing to hang it from.

Unless you get claustrophobic, IMHO a bivy is much better in the alpine environment. And if there's more than one of you, a lightweight tent for 2 or 3 can be just as weight-economical as bivies (or hammocks) for each.

REI claims you can sleep on your side. They have one set up at the seattle store. I'm gonna try it. Like I said somewhere before, I'm not a real climber like you guys and could probably always fit a couple trees in my pocket.

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

Have you ever tried to have sex in a hammock?

See, the key here is to attempt this in one of the only two reasonable ways:

1. sit sideways on the hammock with feet touching the ground. Mount up, and use the planted feet for some leverage and sway action.

2. Straddle the hammock with feet touching the ground. Mount up, use feet for leverage and sway action.

Trying this with female on bottom is a really good way to see what having your nuts in a vice is like...as soon as they get pinned in one of the holes and she starts sliding downward...YEEEOOOWWWW! Forgive the graphic description, but it's all in the interest of your friends down below.

quote:

Originally posted by willstrickland:

See, the key here is to attempt this in one of the only two reasonable ways:

1. sit sideways on the hammock with feet touching the ground. Mount up, and use the planted feet for some leverage and sway action.

2. Straddle the hammock with feet touching the ground. Mount up, use feet for leverage and sway action.

Trying this with female on bottom is a really good way to see what having your nuts in a vice is like...as soon as they get pinned in one of the holes and she starts sliding downward...YEEEOOOWWWW! Forgive the graphic description, but it's all in the interest of your friends down below.

Okay, that blows. Try this:

Fit her up with a full body harness and clip her into the ridge line with a couple biners at Mr. Happy's level of erection and direction, and rock on!