BD Dry Tool Gloves

Jman

Anyone own a pair? Heard any likes or dislikes? I was considering buying a pair - the stretch-woven fabric seems like an interesting idea for gloves... since my Marmot gloves get soaked everytime I venture onto snow. (perhaps I should get off all fours, eh?)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think i own these gloves. they are thin, leather palm, vapex lined? they are good, but still get wet after a while. the benefit is that there is very good sensitivity, good fit, for moves on rock, and for handling pro. i sized mine tight.

i have some glacier gloves, and i like 'em... but they are shredding fast, like all neoprene gloves. (even putting on other gloves for raps...) those dry tool gloves seem nice but are *way* too expensive for a glove that's going to last half a season.

actually, i've found the best glove solution for mixed/ice routes are those bright orange "hot hands" gloves, i think the primary user group is deep sea fishermen? not quite as dexterous as the glacier gloves, but warm, waterproof and... $10 a pair. they wear out just like neoprene, but since they don't cost $40-60, it's not a big deal. available at outdoor & more and those stores around fisherman's terminal that sell foul weather gear and such.

i also usually carry a pair of big fat mittens for belays/etc.

• 4 weeks later...

I got a pair of BD dry tool gloves on sale at REI last year and used them a lot. They soak through, turn my hands black, the leather fingertips are wearing out fast, and they cost way too much BUT, they are warm and allow very good dexterity.

If you want super affordable gloves for wet winter use, one word says it all: Vinylove. Seattle marine supply has these freezer gloves by Atlas that go at about $13/pair. Check it out at http://www.seamar.com/atlas/460.html

The orange ones are a little softer than the blue, but both allow carabiner and ice-screw handling similar to bare hands. Plus they can easily be customized with a Marks-a-lot pen.

I've been using neoprene gloves almost identical to the Glacier Gloves that I bought at Wal-Mart or K-Mart or something for about $10. They are a lovely shade of camoflauge, but I can't argue with the price. The palms are covered with some rubberized stuff that is WAY grippy. You might take a look at them, I've found that carrying them along with a fat pair of mittens for belays or bivys works well for me.

freeclimb-

Thanks, great idea, I'll have to give it a try. BTW, was that a typo or Freudian slip... some kind of kinky activities with your "Vinylove"?

I can't help but notice all the interesting words in your post: wet, softer, screw, bare.

Hmm.... spank.gif

Nothing beats plain neoprene gloves (less than $10 at Chubby and Tubby) for digging snow caves. No matter how wet you get they stay warm. They would wear out in no time if you tried rapping or climbing in them, but you can spend hours burrowing in the snow and keep your climbing mitts dry if you carry a light pair of neoprene gloves.