Cheap Glacier Glasses?

Bronco

I purchased some Julbo Sherpa Glacier Glasses last year off of Mountainzone.com's auction for less than $10. I have worn them alot but the last 2 times on Mt. Baker and again on Mt. Rainier, the sun was completley unobstructed and very bright. The following day I had what felt like flashburn, sand in my eyes and eye fatige in general. The lenses seem pretty adequatly tinted (dark enough) for the intended purpose, the side shields are smaller than normal but work ok. Any advice? Is it a problem with my glasses or eyes?

Climbing again friday, HELP

Bronco

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have used Julbo Sherpas quite a bit, including three very sunny days on Rainier last year. (I sat on them in the Muir shelter a couple of weeks ago.) I never had any problems. I replaced them with some Julbo round glacier glasses and took a day trip to Muir yesterday. It was a little windy and nearly whiteout conditions. I wore goggles on the descent because of the blowing ice. Today, my eyes feel a little sore, but that might have been the wind.

[This message has been edited by Griff (edited 06-06-2001).]

bronco, julbo sherpas have lenses(acrylic i think) that have the least protective quality of any of julbo's glacier glasses. that's probabally why you paid $10.00! i bought a pair of those for work, and have another pair with more protection for snow and high altitude. julbo's best lens for high mountain and exceptional brightness is a mineral lens with anti-glare. all cost more than 10 bones, mine were 70. but your eyes are worth it! spend the cash, take care of the shades (mine lasted 4 years before i crushed them) and your eyes will thank you in the long run. T.

i have a pair of mineral lens julbos, not sure the model, though i never wear them. they are too heavy! so heavy that it is quite bothersome. my bro thinks it gives him a headache to wear them. i have bagged on them and they now sit in the gear bin. i always go with my smith sliders with a polarized lens. very lite and blocks all the uvs the sun can throw out. plus the polarization reduces the glare, they are also good for driving and many other sports. the changeable lens feature is great as well. i think the yellow lens are ansi approved for shatter resistance. good for wearing on the job site.