Alpine/ ice boots

Latch_Holeflaffer

I am looking at a new pair of boots this season. I have wide feet (EE) and often have fitting difficulties with various models.I am looking for a pair of boots for technical ice and rock, but not so specialized that they are super uncomfortable to run up a volcano if I want to. I have tried on the Salomon Super Mountain and thought they were a little narrow. What suggestions do you have? How about the Scarpa Freney?

Thanks,

Latch

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also have wide feet (E) and am breaking in some Scarpa Matterhorns. I have worn them on 2 one day climb/scramles on mixed terrain and am very happy with them.

I also took the liberty of checking the Scapra website and found the Freney and Matterhorn are made useing a different last. So they would probably fit different.

Ryan

Latch, et al,

Actually Scarpa Freney's fit wide feet quite well. However, since they were designed with technical objectives in mind they don't hike worth a crap. I got sore heels just walking up and down Si with a pack. Just like any full shank boot I suppose.

You will have to treat them a number of times as the leather is very prone to becoming soaked. Before application I climbed some alpental "shice" in them and they were soaked for 2 days afterwards.

They do climb EXCEPTIONALLY well, and I often boulder in mine. I find that as long as the holds are positive I can generally pull all the same moves I can do in rock shoes. They climb well on wet rock, unfortunately I don't. smile.gif

Freney's accept all manner of crampons quite well, and I have climbed technical waterfall ice in them without any complaints.

The newer versions are probably better than the older ones so make sure you check out several seasons worth of designs. Marmot only had the older Freney's the last time I was there.

Overall, a decent summer alpine boot, but just know there are some quirks to the boot worth taking note of. I would think it has it's main arena on mixed ice and rock routes with moderate to easy approaches. Not much of that around here eh?

Mike http://alpinelite.com

In regards to the Freney, a buddy of mine has them and they often destroy his feet on anything but short approaches. I still have nightmares about the heel blisters he has received as a result of those boots. And they don't seem to get better with time.

Another friend has the Salomons and loves them. I'm a La Sportiva fan myself. Check out the K3's, they climb and hike great. I have a wide, yet low volume foot, if that's any help to you.