stoppers, nuts, etc

Zenolith

I've been using BD Stoppers and have a full set but I was thinking of getting some of the more often used sizes (6-10 for me) in another brand. First, I've never compared different brands to see if the sizes are the same or similar accross brands. Does anyone know? Second, what brands do you all like? Has anyone tried the newfangled types like Omega's Tri-Nuts which claim to fit 3 different crack sizes? Metolius Curve Nuts are curved in more ways than Stoppers. Does this seem to offer any benefit to those of you who use them? What are your opinions on hexes and nuts which are slung w/ spectra? I don't mean the biggies but the smaller ones that are usually wired.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Zeno,

I use the "original" Wild Country Rocks in addition to the BD Stoppers, they make a nice addition to the rack. I like size 2,3 and 4.

I would suggest you also supplement your rack with some BD copper-steel nuts in their larger sizes and especially check out Hugh Banner Offsets. The Offsets and nuts like them (RPs) are not exactly made for holding long leader falls, but they also hold in small cracks and pin scars like nothing else. I like the Offsets better than RPs, but a mix is always good.

I disagree that supplementing your rack with the WC Rocks. They don't quite have the range of the BD therefore you must carry more of them. Or you end up bumbling around and grab a piece that requires some tinkering to get plugged in. I have both WC and BD and I prefer BD because it allows me to carry less pieces and less second guessing if am "Sketchin" (I practice this regularly) smile.gif. Go aid climb a long crack with both and you will see what I mean.

-Ray

I'm a big fan of DMM Wallnuts and WC Rocks. I haven't used BD nuts much since they aren't on my rack, but my brother has a set and when I've climbed with his rack I have had to work harder to get good placements. I think the Wallnuts are definitely worth looking at.