New Thread - Old Topic - Dead Horse

minx

Any of you experience parenthood (at least while they are infants) and the loss of your passion? Or at least having it put on hold for a while.

Maybe thats why I have become such a CC.comer, because I am climbing vicariously through all of you.

...dude, welcome to the adult world...

yup--gave up a lot of activities when the little guy was even littler. no one forced me. it just felt right at the time.

Yah….no one is forcing me, I am choosing to not to go climbing. But still it is a transition time to get away from climbing 2 nights a week at the gym and both Sat and Sunday. To not climbing at all. I see it as it will not be forever. Luckily my wife is an avid outdoor enthusiast. So we will get out, it just might be a while. Thanks all for the support. :tup:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Somebody call my name?

I tend to accomplish goals of getting out a certain amount

Yes, and I agree with that. And some of the best days were camping, hiking and fishing with neices and nephews when they were young, although I have to admit it's been nice to have more time available for more challenging outings also. I don't really consider one or the other more or less worthwhile, but I do like to get out.

untitled.jpg

my original thought on this thread was for those who are negotiating "X" number of days w/their spouses. if you avoid putting a concrete number on it, then it's easier to avoid the "you've already been out 6 days this year, no more!" conversation.

Since my son was born almost four years ago (and I have a one year old, too), weekend climbing has fallen way off my radar. My wife used to be my climbing partner, but she used the birth of our son as an excuse to never have to climb again... So, I'm partner-less, plus I work 80+ hours a week and I'd rather play with my kids on the weekends than go climbing by myself.

The balance I've found is that whenever I start to get really pent-up with wanderlust, my wife buys me a climbing trip somewhere - so two or three times a year I head out for a long weekend or maybe even a week up in Alaska, down in Utah, or Red Rocks, or someplace cool I've always wanted to go...

The other thing I've found to keep myself sane is have an escape date. I'm retiring in four years on my 39th birthday. Once I don't have to work, there'll be plenty of time to play with my kids and climb and bike and kayak, etc.

I'm serious - save up, retire when your kids are young, and then go back to work when they head off to college.

You saw Annie Hall right?

(paraphrasing from memory)

Split screen husband (Woody Allen) and wife (Dianne Keaton) at their respective therapist's offices

Husband's therapist: How often do you sleep together??

Husband: Almost never! Maybe three times per week.

Wife's therapist: Do you have sex often?

Wife: Constantly! Three times per week.

Moral: Perceptions differ. Concrete numbers are universal.