now i'm spoiled. suggestions?

jackscoldsweat

went climbing south of the equator for a good season. upon my return, i've realized that i've become spoiled with the type of routes available in the lower 48. and because of time constraints and location, i'm looking for recommended routes in the NW within a days drive of Seattle.

looking for anything in the french grade D+ - TD. I know this is largly an unknown rating system in North America (and may not apply), but it's the only rating system i've become extensivly familiar.

any ideas? I've done LR and it kicked my arse, but I felt it wasn't technical enough. then again, conditions were more than perfect at the time. perhaps i need to repeat. Mowich looks like a 60 deg. slog. Am I wrong? Others?

thanks,

JCS

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

could any one recommend routes with similar (or more) difficulty as Liberty Ridge in the cascade range?

That could be a huge list. Why not take a look at Selected Climbs in the Cascades Vol I and II by Nelson and Potterfeld. Alan Kearny's guide book has some nice ideas as well. Or perhaps you could be more specific as to the type of climbs you are interested in.

Edited by danielpatricksmith

If you get the Waddington guide, Alpine Select etc, pretty much any Elaho climbing guidebook, Alpine grades are used. There's a shitload of D to TD routes. I sense you are looking for ice/snow routes rather than rock routes, though. you won't find many of those in that grade range in Alpine Select (West Face Couloir on Tantalus; winter routes on Slesse; James Turner north face); better check out Wadd guide.

spotter,

thanks for the info. it's pointed me in the right direction in becoming more familiar with the NW ranges. Waddington appears to be a fine destination for future trips with more time.

however, i only have 4 days to 'bang out' any one of the recommended 'classics'. if flying into the Seattle area, what 5 routes make your top 5? Hopefully in the D+ - td range?

if anyone else would like to include their 'top 5' mixed routes, please do so.

thanks again,

JCS

Edited by jackscoldsweat