Ice climbs within 100 mi of McCall?

mccallboater

Are there any ice climbs worth doing within 100 miles of McCall? I've been searching for 6 years now and haven't found much. This place has everything but. Great snow, weather, rivers, lakes, rock, yada.

But little or no ice. Mixed routes count too. Any of those?

By the way, how does one find a better avatar picture than a real picture? I know nothing about that stuff.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From iceclimb.com:

"Yellowpine:

Caton Creek--Take Warm Lake road to Stolle Meadows (20 miles), Turn left to Krassel/SF Salmon river(25 miles), turn right towards Yellowpine(8 miles). Ice on North side of road 1/2 mile before sign marking Caton Creek. Up to 10-12 climbs 80-100+ ft. WI 2-5 depending on route and conditions. Also some WI4+, M4/5 possibilities with good conditions. Fun playground for many abilities in a great setting. "

It's not lack of water, cold, or vertical that's your crux, it's access. I bet the sawtooths or the 7 devs would have some steep mixed if you could get in there in the winter. I made a half-hearted attempted to get up in the 7ds last winter, but the long slog and bitter cold sapped our will.

I think all over Idaho there is a good short period where there is ice up in the mountains but the roads accessing them aren't completely snowed in. Dean Lords has put up some excellent routes in oct/nov that set a precedent for this. You might want to check out hydnaman/old hyndaman routes in the AAJ (2004?). They are probably within 100 miles of McCall.

As the crow flies, the wallowas are within 100 miles, though I bet it's way longer as you'd have to drive it in the winter.

Good luck.

Even Yellowpine is close to the 100 mile radius limit I set for myself. It's a good two hours drive anyway. 30 miles to Cascade, then the directions above. But I didn't know about those climbs. I'll check them out.

The Sawtooths are about a 3.5 hour drive from here. Lots of up and down in Idaho. Makes for all those great rivers.

Anyone find ice in the limestone country around Riggins?

Hey mccall boater, the ice in Yellowpine is probably the closest that you'll get. We go up there several times a year, and the drive isn't too bad from Boise.

There are a few lines in the canyon between New Meadows and riggins, if it gets really cold, but nothing to write home about.

If you ever need a partner, give me an email, we're either skiing or climbing most weekends.

• 1 month later...