Icy -- Spicy on Leuthold's

MtnHigh

You guys are a demanding bunch.

So where's the TR MtHigh?

Yeah! what kind of condition was Leutholds in? Good ice...ANY ice?

Ran into the Yocum boys TG and Tex on the Reid glacier Sat morning. They had just gotten off Yocum while Drew and I were just heading in.

Drew and I were hoping to climb something in the Reid HW, but it looked too thin up there. We headed up Leuthold. About 1/3 of the way up we took a gulley to the left of Leuthold. The gully offered some moderately steep ground on hard snow or ice. The gulley skirted just below Yocum and finally terminated at a headwall. For a while the dreadful thought of backing down the gully rattled my brain. However, we were able to descend steep snow/ice onto the upper Leuthold and complete the climb.

Overall, conditions were excellent. Rock hard snow and ice. In sections it was a bit thin, but very do-able.

The descent down the Hogs back was scarry as hell. There was 30' of 1/4" 45 degree ice in the Pearly Gates and the upper Hogs back was rock hard. Backing down it was fraying my already thin nerves. While backing down the Hog a big chuck of ice hit my shoulder. I figured the mountain was saying "get the hell off of me you looser". The berg cutting across the Hog is a 25' over hanging wall. You can skirt it on either side. The West Crater route would be a better descent option right now.

Pete

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by rbw1966:

quote:

Originally posted by Terminal Gravity:

I look forward to bumping into you again sometime. Maybe we could compare bruises on our shoulders.
[laf][big Drink]

You guys serve time in prison together?

Prison would have probably been safer. But probably would have a had a greater ass puckering quotent. [Wink]

[ 11-27-2002, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: Terminal Gravity ]

quote:

Originally posted by Terminal Gravity:

Hey Pete, Nice TR.

It was goood to chat with you guys as we crossed paths. I look forward to bumping into you again sometime. Maybe we could compare bruises on our shoulders.
[laf][big Drink]

- steve

PS How windy was it at the top?

If we start comparing body parts the Pub Club gang might get the wrong impression. We will never get anyone to share a tent with us. [Moon][Moon]

About the winds....Catabatic winds hit us all day long. They were the strongest between 8500' - 10000'. A couple of them were so strong that we had to stop moving, quickly sink an axe and stay put until it subsided.