Kropp Accident analysis?

Blake

I was at Vantage the other day and did Air guitar. I was wondering what caused the death of Goran Kropp? I know there is a huge thread about it, but there weren't really any "known" facts, and there is just a lot of speculation in there. It seems like the top 20", from which he fell, is easily protectable with #3 or 4 camalots, or big hexes.

Was there ever a proven consensus on the cause of the death?

P.S. Is it standard to go out right onto the chalked arete to bypass the finger tip section near the beginning?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Blake, take the time to look it up and read it. Pretty interesting actually. Since being in the NW meeting a lot of alpine types I've noticed some of them have a less detailed (technical) approach and more cavalier attitude towards pro in general. This probably serves them well in alpine settings, but not necessarily on rock. Can't say that was the case with Goran, but I've noticed this tendency over the years...

I climb the first 15-20 fee mostly on faceholds but stay in the corner. My first two pieces are blue and green aliens.

There's really only one or two widish moves to end the climb. You're standing on a ledge where you can place a #4 friend, and then about 10 feet above the ledge to the left is a huge jug.

Just stand on the damn boulder to get your first piece in, make it a nut, put it as high as you can get it and then jerk set the hell out of it. That way your protected from the groundfall onto the big pointy boulder for the first few moves until your up the point where you can start getting larger and more regular gear.