[TR] Lighthouse Tower- West and East Face 8/29/2006

AlpineMonkey

Climb: Lighthouse Tower-West and East Face

Date of Climb: 8/27/2006

Trip Report:

With little creativity in mind, Friday afternoon I hiked partnerless bearing a hefty load six miles into Temple Ridge. Saturday I rope soloed (free and aid) to the summit of Lighthouse Tower via the W. Face. The rock was extremely solid, but covered in lichen. I estimate the climbing went at 5.8 or 5.9, A1. From the summit I admired the East Face which looked equally inviting. I snapped a picture of some old tat, then a self portrait from the top showing the summit shadow and retreated back to my car. I planned to return the following day with my friend.

11247clip_image001-med.jpg

11247clip_image0021-med.jpg11247clip_image003-med.jpg

The next day I returned with a partner and we did the East Face. Approximately 400 feet high on good rock, this route was a blast. Estimated 5.10 climbing, 5 pitches. Lots of variations exist. Again we summited. Found a register which still had the first ascentists entry. Less then a dozen people have stood on the true summit. A fun quality climb.

11247clip_image0041-med.jpg

11247clip_image005-med.jpg11247clip_image0101-med.jpg11247clip_image011-med.jpg

Gear Notes:

Double sets of cams to number 3, a 3.5 and 4.

Approach Notes:

Easy going but a long ways, 7 miles car to tower.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The truth being, I'm really not so burley and I put up a 4 bolt lader. They're removeable bolts and I thought long and hard about striping them on the way down, thinking some ass would take them anyways. But in the end I decided that others might apreciate them and left em. I placed everyone on the top step of my aiders the first day I climbed it solo, there all about 5-6 feet apart and I spent a lot of time and hard work putting them in. I'm now a white trash low life looser. But in the end, I think they were needed. No sense in trying to throw ropes and shit over the top. I found a rope stuck in the crack at the top even.

before a debate starts...i meant climb ow, stand on flake, place bolt high...freeclimb to summit if all goes well...otherwise stand on bolt, drill another bolt...freeclimb to summit..

i assume monkeys ladder went free, he sayd "5.10 and we summmited"...otherwise its a0, and needs to be freed....

• 1 year later...

My Dad, Don Moody, came upon this information on Lighthouse Tower. He was active climbing in the "Rat Lakes" in the early 1950's. He says the paper in the photograph was left by them.

The July paper is the one I wrote when Verl Rogers and I did a second ascent of Lighthouse Tower.

He also has stories of attempting Mt Stuart once with Pete Schoening. There was a ton of snow so they were slow, then Schoening had to leave for the K2 climb. Unfortunately he also took the rope. My dad says they got up to the false summit but there was so much snow, that without a rope, they didn't want to traverse.

Lots of stories. I followed some of his climbs much, some are captured in my

Climbing Photos,