Dead mountaineer found after seventeen years

Sunnyside_up

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Dead_mountaineer_found_after_seventeen_years

August 19, 2006

Mont Blanc, in the Alps, is the highest mountain in Western Europe.The body of Mike Seavers, a mountaineer who died in a climbing accident in the French Alps, has been found after seventeen years.

The 31 year-old, who lived in Bristol, was scaling Mont Blanc with a climbing party when they got caught up in a fierce storm.

He was found alongside a German member of the party in a melting glacier which preserved their bodies, according to Nick Cotton from the British Mountaineering Council. “They may have gone inside a crevasse to take cover and got covered, possibly by an avalanche or snowfall. Glaciers are flowing things. They move at an imperceptible speed and anything travels with it encased in ice. When they get to a point where the glacier melts, things appear,” he said.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that the point of that story to which I refer is that the discovery of the body had made them both very uncomfortable, because it reminded them of their own mortality. The comment was gallows humor, an attempt to break the tension. The men were criticized for it after others took the story out of context.

I think that the point of that story to which I refer is that the discovery of the body had made them both very uncomfortable, because it reminded them of their own mortality. The comment was gallows humor, an attempt to break the tension. The men were criticized for it after others took the story out of context.

what else are you going to do when you come across a body and you are already 20 piches up??? as climbers we face our mortality more often then most and i think it gives us the right to find humor in the fact that we too may pass anytime now. i think we all try to show some ammount of class when someone posts a recent accident or posts about someone they know passing. this is long past and half a world away. let us have out moment of it not being personal for once. i for one am greatful it is not anyone i know and that this accident was long ago mourned.

Isn't Dru's comment a reference to an old story about two Yosemite climbers who on encountering the dead body of a climber who had fallen a couple weeks before, one said to the other, "his jacket doesn't fit". I think one of the guys was Chouinard.

The comment was attributed to Steve Roper, who, by some accounts, also retrieved the victim's jawbone and unwisely displayed it in the lodge coffee shop.