[TR] Vesper Peak- North Face 7/9/2006

Alpine_Tom

Climb: Vesper Peak-North Face

Date of Climb: 7/9/2006

Trip Report:

Alex Mineev and I climbed the North Face on Sunday. Beautiful weather. I was surprised to see so much snow still up there -- the tarn was almost completely frozen.

The approach took longer than I'd anticipated from the basin to the base of the route; the Vesper Glacier traverse was kind of slow. We had crampons, and it would have been pretty difficult without them.

nfv1.JPG

view of Vesper and the upper N. Face

nfv2.JPG

Partial view of the N. Face from the saddle.

We did the "full face" starting from below, and did about three pitches before getting up to the slabs. The rock is really unpredictable -- what looks like class 4 turns out to have a couple of surprising 5.7 moves stuck in there, but there's almost no opportunties for pro. I avoided crying on all but the scariest moves.

nfv3.JPG

Alex getting ready to start up the first pitch

nfv4.JPG

Alex enjoying very secure handholds.

Up on the slab (we did the 'low angle slab' that Nelson recommends) it was a LOT of fun, once you get past the issue of virually no pro opportunites at all. There are plenty of good belay spots, but you can't tie yourself in. The climbing isn't difficult or hazardous, I'd guess no more than 5.0, but I'm used to over-protecting everything, just in case, and it's a bit disconcerting to be sitting there on a nice wide bench belaying your partner up a not-very-difficult pitch, knowing that the only thing holding you to the wall is a little wedge, or a not-very-well slung rock. We did find one old rusty 1/4" bolt and rusty hanger, bent and broken through, but we slung it, since it was the best pro we had all day.

We spent a good four hours on the climb, more than I expected, going kind of slow and excavating cracks in a mostly futile effort to find one deep enough to stick something that would stay put.

nfv5.JPG

Alex on the upper slab

If I did it again, I'd probably do the slab unroped; all a rope does is slow you down, and you probably wouldn't be able to hold a fall.

Gorgeous day in the Cascades. We both want to do it again.

nfv6.JPG

There's always time for a relaxing bath after a stimulating climb!

Gear Notes:

Crampons, a few cams, rope. Lots of bugs -- bugspray is essential.

Approach Notes:

Trail was in good condition. Lots of snow in the basin, iffy snow at the top of the gap.

Edited by Alpine_Tom

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent photos!

I did it a few years ago and remember the lower/steeper part had enough protectable cracks and slingable horns and shrubs (at least the way we went - there are lots of ways to go). I seem to remember the upper part had some horizontal cracks up high but otherwise very little pro. However, there are nice ledges at the belays, and in that case YOU are the most secure part of the anchor. In this case you could hold a fall of a follower but not the leader. Also, it seems the slab angle is low enough that you could almost 'self-arrest' by lying flat on it. hellno3d.gif

I almost dunked in the lake too, but not on purpose: I was walking near the edge and a huge piece of hard snow broke off (but remained intact), fell into the water, and rolled over with me on it. I did the log roller dance and jumped off fast without taking the plunge! blush.gif

I'd echo the suggestion to take crampons. We didn't have any and it made the glacier crossing the spiciest part of the day.

Good job all around thumbs_up.gif