Sandy Headwall - Mount Hood Conditions

David_Keltner

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

iain got nearly cashiered on it round this time of year a few years ago i seem to recollect - from out my window still appears alright currently but pretty much any route on hood is far more enjoyable done in winter or spring - this is the time for alpine roc goddammit! if you must have volcano shite then perhaps rainier is better rght now...

So, myself and a buddy went up last night to climb the Sandy headwall in July. This was an awesome idea. We've had some awesome ideas before. But this was super-awesome. A couple of you guys out there were trying to talk us out of it, but we like to just have our own ideas and just do 'em no matter what people say. Especially people trying to help us. So, we just went ahead and figured your advice didn't really apply to us and boy were we right!

This route is so much fun right now! Especially the approach to the route, which is the part we did. I've been reading Mark Twight and Mark and I think summits and stuff are stupid because we're all zen and stuff.

So, here's some of the hi-lites of our adventure. For starters, we climbed around on cool mud formations that you can actually front point up! and heard this really cool buzzing sound rocks can make when they're going really really fast like bullets out of a gun. We didn't even care when we got rock marrooned on a cliff above the Sandy glacier because it meant we got to spend more time hiking around on the mud and listening to that cool rock sound.

I'd recommend doing the hard route finding at night like we did. You really get to know the mountain a lot better hiking up and down looking for this really clever traverse that starts, get this, on that cool front pointy mud stuff! There's tons of that to be had right now, so get out there while the gettin's good before it all gets covered up in boring snow again.

-LURKER (coolest name I've ever had, thanks to whoever at this website gave me it)