Operate quarry to produce great climbing

MtnBoy

A lot of local craigs are nice and steep due to the quarry efforts in the past. What about buying and operating a quarry in such a way as to create a great climbing park at the close of the quarry.

What would be left would be prime for a recreational park and generate income and provide recreation. This way multiple users could be happy.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the PDX area, Madrone Wall and Rocky Butte in the past were both operated as quarries. Imagin them with about 150 ft of scree slope removed leaving 300 ft of free standing cliff remaining. Multi Pitch Baby. This would satisfy the county's need for rock and improve a recreational resource.

Imagine the reaction when you file an EIS on land you bought noting your intention of creating a 300tf deep pit.

I can envision your lawyer putting the down payment on his own island now.

You'll note that most quarries (at least in the Portland area) were pits that were later used as landfills. I can think of two off the top of my head that have been completely filled back in and a couple more than are being filled up as we speak.