Tantalus Range

Toast

Who's got recommendations on something moderate, alpine rock oriented, and can be done in 3 - 4 days including the drive from and back to Seattle snugtop.gif I was thinking of the Tantalus Traverse, but the approach and climb don't sound like it'll work given time constraints. Ideas?

P/S looking for something fun but reasonable for us mere mortals.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

east ridge of alpha is nice. if pressed for time you can speed up the ascent by bypassing the technical rock on the left with some fourth class scrambling. also, finding the actual trail that heads up to the ridge (instead of just bushwhacking your way up) also speeds things up nicely.

i've got some photos and a rough outline of the route online here: http://gallery.antiflux.org/v/lavina/album858/mountain123/album974/

Why not the Tantalus traverse..drive from C town after work arrive in squish at the airport wake up fly in and climb Tantalus to dionne and sleep one day, second day climb dionne takes about an hour or less..make your way to red tit hut..sleep. day three climb serratus and back to the tit..day four hike back to the river to water taxi and maybe some stashed bikes or a pick up to airport and go home..totally reasonable

I think I paid 300 for one way trip for two dudes to base of tantalus ridge..a spectacualar trip with no one around..

plus every time you drive the sea to sky you look at that ridge and go mmmmmm

The SW Buttress of Dione is an excellent low-5th class rock climb. Combine it with the standard route on Tantalus for a good day from the Red Tit Hut. The DonSerl-north face route on Alpha was OK. Another good day trip from the hut.

If you can figure out the river exit the price of a one-way flight in is worth it. Fly in Day 1, Climb Dione-Tantalus Day 2, Climb Alpha Day 3, Long Hike out Day 4. Beautiful place!