rock climbing oregon guidebook

markd

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So whats the big deal if people are hush hush about climbing areas? There is plenty of info about plenty of places to clinb in oregon. Enough to keep most climbers busy for a lifetime. Why should I tell the world about some new place I found to climb if I don't feel like it for what ever reason? Your probably right that some peopel keep a tight lip about "their" climbing places for all all kinds or reasons, ego, impact conserns, what ever. That is their business. That being said, I'm all for sharing information. If you want info about an area I'll tell you what I know. On the other hand I'm not going to spray about every choss pile I come accross. Would it really be good if every one could get all the info they wanted on every hunk of stone in the state? It would kind of take some of the excitment out of exploring new areas.

the whole "this is my crag" thing is kind of a drag. I do think folks like to keep things quiet to keep the crowds away until the crag has been developed. And sometimes, for good reason. If a crag is being developed with "No bolt" mentality, you wouldnt want a sporto to show up and slam in a sport route. This would undermine the folks who first found the place. So cant we all just get along.

What destinations in the state have remained boltless after being climbed at beyond a couple years??

Name 4 developers of routes in the state who don't pick up a drill following 1986?? (somebody might get me on this one)

How many jaws dropped in the First Ascent Rock Tour DVD screening when they had a Frenchman ripping out bolts on French Soil where bolts didn't need to be????

Continue the surliness...

Edited by Checat