Cascadian Couloir

pdk

To the two guys we ran into that got turned back by weather on the cascadian couloir on Stuart this past weekend, I have your shovel handle if you want it. Found it on the road on the way out. PM me.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure exactly what your question is, Minx. We took Turnpike Creek for the approach, and found a dry campsight right below the Cascadian even though there was plenty of snow for touring over the pass and down Turnpike Creek. In the couloir itself, there was one spot where it was melted out and we took the skis off for that, and then higher up it was icy and we booted up to the false summit. The final climb to the actual summit, without axe or crampons, was "exhilarating." Skiing down, we found the rib just west of the couloir offered some good terrain outside of the avalanche debris that littered much of the actuall gully itself.

Thanks Matt.

That's pretty much what I was looking for. Just wondering if you skied up the couloir or took another variation up. Couldn't think of what would ski up better than that but thought I'd ask. thumbs_up.gif

We pretty much followed the couloir, but didn't stay exactly in it either on the ascent or descent because the avalanches had made it icy and full of debris. There are no significant routefinding problems, though; you can go just about anywhere but even though we had white-out at the top we had no doubt where to go.