Alpine ice in the sisters

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is water ice to be found on all 3 sisters when conditions are right.

North side of south sis, east side of Middle sis, and east side of north sis for sure. Middle Sis NE couloir seems to be the most desired ice route of the area...

Ice is also pretty normal in the "bowling alley" of north sis during the early season

I would say that "said ice" would be getting rotten and sketch after another month or so, assuming that it stays sunnyish and warm like it has been. It's also likely that "said ice" could be buried in "said snow" making it not the best icy year, but a great snow year. While those routes Chris described are (supposedly) quite good when cold and snow covered, they can become ugly rock/ice/snow fall chutes as the snow starts to melt off... In my opinion, the best time to get to dem sistas is sooner then later... bigdrink.gif

I was back on Middle last weekend. Everything is melted out that I saw. Possibly the N or NW side of S. Sister has some ice left but I doubt it. Shit is melting quite fast. On a more positive note all the routes back there look pretty good, a bit of runneling on the Thayer HW and Early Morning C. Are you planning on getting out this weekend? Do you have skis/board for descent? PM me when you get a chance, I live in Bend as well.

It's as steep as you wanna be, snow not ice though.