Ptarmigan Ptiming?

goatboy

For those of you who have done the Ptarmigan, I'd appreciate some advice/perspective about when the best time this summer might be to do it:

We can either go the first week of July, or the second week of August. In my experience in other parts of the range, the snowpack and glaciers can change appreciably in that 5-week period of time.

Given that it's a relatively high snow year, any thoughts on which you'd prefer, and why? We're envisioning a week-long trip, climbing a few things along the way, and enjoying the wild terrain without being in a hurry.

Thanks in advance for any input,

goatboy

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Park Service doesn't really open the road to the end until 4th of July. I think that might be the case too. In other words....more road walking...and I have never liked road walking.

In addition weather is never usually good around 4th of July. You usually have to wait for about 7-10 days after Fourth of July.

The last week of July and the first week of August are typically the hottest times in Washington.

Hey old man! Guess we were thinking the same thing at the same time....? I added a post earlier thinking that we might do Gunsight along the way but it sounds like its changed much since Jim-Buh first wrote about it. The idea of actually summiting all those along the way sounds sa guud though?! I do like the idea of doing the Ptarmigan before the whole damn range is melted within our lifetime!

Second week of August.

Gunsight isn't exactly "on the way" and if you attempted Jim's route you would have to carry OW gear and a bolt kit the entire traverse thumbs_down.gif If you insist on Gunsight Beckey's route would be best as you could climb it in boots with minimal rock gear and tag both summits.

Check the TR Index for common dates for the PT. wave.gif