Routes up Little Tahoma

hollyclimber

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I know its chossy, but I thought once wouldn't hurt...then I can really be a choss expert. After all, the mountaineers recently had a choss seminar...well actually I guess it was called "Climbing on Loose Rock". Unfortunately I couldn't make it...

Have you been up there Cpt?

Seriously, I know a lot of people are going to say how crappy it is, and if there is anyone who knows that it is in worse condition then usual, that would be good info. With the lighter snow year, I am not sure if this is the best year to climb it. But, sooner or later I want to climb the thing, so I have been thinking I should maybe take my chances with the choss and get it done before it falls down!

Holly

I did it in 1999 in late June. We only climbed to the very top of the snow and did not top out on the rock. The part that we did was pretty straightforward but featured some steep snow and fairly good sized crevasses. That was a much heavier snow year so I would expect more loose rock showing and wider open crevasses. Our route was from White River to Summerland (snow was clear down to the trailhead, up to Meany Crest where we camped, then up through a notch following the Beckey described route. During a rest stop at our high point, one of our party got nailed by a football sized boulder in the back. Luckily it hit the muscular part and not the backbone. Still it caused much pain and very deep bruising that, more or less ruined a good part of her Summer. Wear helmets (we did) and if you stop for a rest, sit down with your pack on and facing up hill to protect your back (we didn't. I didn't like it enough to go back as I usually find myself wanting to do! Have fun!

Ron

Killer! Almost literally:

During a rest stop at our high point, one of our party got nailed by a football sized boulder in the back. Luckily it hit the muscular part and not the backbone. Still it caused much pain and very deep bruising that, more or less ruined a good part of her Summer.