mount hood

flashpoint01

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hood's a fun place and easy to access for a 1-2 day climb anywhere on the mountain. There's routes of every difficulty though, so you may want to be more specific on what you are interested in. The south side, a beeline from Timberline Lodge, is the easy way (95% low angle snow, ~40 degree steepest part, sometimes icy snow, gobs of people) and there are typically no crevasses this time of year (especially with the good snowfall we've had). You might try searching the trip reports for Hood too.

if you want out of the way and zero crevasse danger climb the cooper spur - a beautiful thing this time of year as you generally have the norht side of the mountain all to yourself. the route itself is impossible to get lost on and has no cracks, though spring slides have been know to fawk folks up on it

I don't know what your experience level is, but I suppose I would suggest the west crater rim route as a nice alternative to the standard southside route. It lets you get away from the crowds and lets you traverse the summit ridge (which is really quite cool). Then you can go down the standard south side route. Have fun! Also check out Oregon High by Jeff Thomas ( thumbs_up.gif) for detailed route descriptions that will fit your experience level best!

The routes on the west side like Leuthold, Reid Headwall, and Castle Crags ought to be crevasse free also, and provide a bit more challenge than the south side. They'll be out of the morning sun too, though Leuthold can still get a good bit of stuff falling down on you early. I second Ivan's motion about Cooper Spur, and I also recommend that Oregon High book. At least browse it at barnes & noble or REI or something. My friend has it and it's very informative. Like Ivan said, be sure you know your avy conditions before you venture pretty much anywhere but the south side. Merry climbing! bigdrink.gif

If you wait another week, I will have finished my project of sport bolting a direct line down the south side of the mountain. I will be rapelling down with a 2,000m rope, and installing pickets, bolts, and ice screws (as appropriate) every six feet. It's going to be a real treat. Alpensport is the new mixed climbing!