snow and front-wheel drive cars *DELETED* *DELETED*

knotzen

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless the roads are REALLY bad there is very few times that you ever really need a AWD or FWD vehical. Yes front wheel drive cars do quite well in the snow. Are AWD cars better? Yes, but do you need one to get to Stevens pass? No. Much of it has to do with tires. If you have good snow tires on the car you will most likely be fine. Yes there are some times you might have to put chains on, but if you do most AWD cars probably should also. Ever noticed what the majority of vehicals that spin off the road are in slick conditions? FWD and AWD SUVs this is because they really are not any better than any other vehical in the snow, but the drivers seem to think they are. I often drive a Toyota Camry in the snow and it works great. I have driven back and forth from Banff several times in the snow and have no problems at all. I know several climbers who use honda civics and get out in the winter a ton. They may not look as cool, but at least you know you did not over pay for your car.

I have a rear-wheel drive car now (no snow tires), and it spins out on the slightest incline. Even driving to the upper parking lot at Stevens. Does OK with chains, but they're a hassle to put on, and I've ruined 2 pairs of chains in 2 years.

My dad taught me how to drive in the snow, so that's not a problem. I actually enjoy the challenge.

I just hate getting stuck, with not enough traction to get where I'm going, or out of the lot after the car's been sitting there all weekend and is buried under 2 feet of snow.

So I just need something with great traction, and hp, too.

I'm thinking I'll go for a FWD at this point. An SUV would be nice, but it doesn't fit my budget right now.

Thanks, all!

Front wheel drive cars are great in the snow. I have a front wheel drive Saab that will go anywhere in the snow with just a good set of snow tires. I also have a 4wd and the biggest difference in where it is able to go is due to higher clearance. If you mostly drive plowed roads, ie to the ski areas and sno-parks, front wheel is really all you need. If you get off the beaten path often, the higher clearance of a 4wd is the ticket. cool.gif

I have driven front wheel drive cars my whole life and have never chained up to go skiing (typically 50-100 days/year in college). I ran studs for a while, then when I got a nicer FWD I bought some of the modern studless tires. IMO FWD with snow tires is about equal to 4WD with all seasons when driving on plowed roads. FWD with snow tires provides better braking. 4WD kills FWD when the snow gets a little deeper.

A few weeks ago a bunch of us were going to a private cabin near White Pass. Highway was bare and dry. Private driveway was an ice rink. One car (subie, all wheel drive) cruised right up the driveway. The car I was in (front wheel drive Ford Contour) couldn't even get there with chains on the front tires. We had to get 8+ people to push the car over into the snow to get traction. Pain in the ass.

There is a difference between FWD and 4WD, although FWD with snow tires on a plowed road comes close to 4WD. Either way, you do still need to know how to drive both and know their limitations.

My understanding of Oregon law (probably similar to WA) is that when traction tires are required in a snow zone, 4WD/AWD cars only need M&S all-weather radials (the tires that probably came with the car). In other words, you don't need to change out your tires twice a year.

But to answer your question, FWD with snow tires will almost always be sufficient.

You generally always need to carry chains in any car, because the police can require you to have them with you in case conditions deteriorate or you find you need them.

Interesting thing about the Suby AWD w/ auto tranny is that the power split is only 50/50 in 1st and 2nd gear, after that in 3&4 it's a 90/10 front rear split. (Or they used to be anyway)

Forresters are pretty cheap, afa new cars go. For the money they are hard to beat. Not my own choice (I'm partial to the legacy wagon because the cargo box is longer) but they are cheaper than say an Accord or Camry or similar FWD japanese rig.

There's no pat answer to this one. I've owned both a FWD Honda Civic and an AWD Subaru outback. In my experience, the worse the conditions (steepness of road, depth of snow, iciness, etc) the more the AWD will outperform the FWD, all other things being equal (drive skill, tire quality). That said, for average winter conditions, FWD with a good set of snow tires will get you most places. Although WSP won't care about how good a driver you are or the quality of your tires. They will make you chain up where required. One other consideration. AWD produces poor mileage. 'Tis the nature of the beast. You could consider using the gas money saved on a fuel efficient FWD and get a really good set of dedicated winter snow tires. Then feel happy you're doing a little something for the planet.