Calling all bolters!

rbwen

Got your attention? I just stumbled across a masonry drilling company that has a bin full of old granite scraps of all sizes. They are perfectly flat, about 1" thick, shiny on one side and grainy/aggregate on the other with great edges for an indoor rock wall hold.

Problem is I just spent 45 minutes drilling and only made it through 2/3 of one piece! Is there a quicker way of getting through granite? I started using my cordless Makita but then switched to the plug-in power drill until I couldn't hold it any longer. Ouch. I'm using a masonry bit right now.

Tips?

If anyone's interested in where the scraps are (my wife grabbed a bunch for her garden) it's downtown Wenatchee on the corner of Yakima and Columbia St. They had pieces as big as two feet long by one foot wide.

Thanks!

rbwen

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not. I'd never even really heard of one. Just Googled one up to see what you're talking about. Wonder if I can rent one?

The guy I talked to at the shop said he could drill some holes for me so maybe I'll take some pieces back and see what he charges. He's a climber too so maybe he'll do it for cheap!

Thanks!

rbwen

Scraps are in downtown Wenatchee on the corner of Yakima and Columbia St. There's an apple bin half-full of them and a dumpster with some more right next to it. I can't remember the name of the shop but it's on a dead end street on the southeast side of the intersection.

rbwen