All my synthetic gear smells of mold

andrewbanandrew

I've since become somewhat accustomed to it (since my room also smells like mold), but it occurred to me that if my gear smells like mold, it may be because there is mold growing on, and therefore eating, my gear.

It all started back in December/January where we had that 28 straight days of rain or whatever. A friend pointed out that my room smelled kinda funky, and I thought gee, I should look into it. Pushing back my bed revealed a 7 or 8 by 3 foot tall patch of mold growing on the wall (oops).

Anyway, I'm wondering how I might get the smell of mold out of my gear. I'm trying that special synthetic gear wash stuff right now; initially I thought it was a load of horseshit but after 6 separate people told me to try it I figured it might actually be worth something.

Anyone know if using the baking soda and/or vinegar trick with a goretex garment would ruin the membrane? This is what I do if I accidentally get mildew on my jeans or something, but I'd imagine it could potentially damage the goretex.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend pointed out that my room smelled kinda funky, and I thought gee, I should look into it. Pushing back my bed revealed a 7 or 8 by 3 foot tall patch of mold growing on the wall (oops).

Dude, that's some nasty shit. I'd be worried about some health considerations... and more importantly this as an inhibiting factor to getting smileysex5.gif

A friend pointed out that my room smelled kinda funky, and I thought gee, I should look into it. Pushing back my bed revealed a 7 or 8 by 3 foot tall patch of mold growing on the wall (oops).

Dude, that's some nasty shit. I'd be worried about some health considerations... and more importantly this as an inhibiting factor to getting smileysex5.gif

Yeah it's been cleaned up and it's gone now. I was worried it'd come back though.