Bolting ? Question

Mos_Chillin

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah or go ride a yak. the_finger.gif

Little different angle on the bolting. I got limited resources here, but there is a Hilti store, can someone reccomend which Hilti bolts to get, grade, length, type, size got's to be 3/8 cause that is what I have for a bit?????? Help?

Ok now I am off to go wrestle a mountain gorilla. yelrotflmao.gif

Not the place, obviously, to receive even a remotely useful answer. However, I will attempt:

Mos: the best idea would be to get a second opinion on how protectable the climbing is with gear. No one can issue an opinion here without seeing the rock. Also, no one can tell you not to establish routes in a place with no "established" ethic, obviously; you'll have to use your judgement about where to bolt or how many comprise a "safe" line. A 20 foot runout on easy ground, for instance, is "safe" for some and not for others, depending on many factors.

Ken4ord: if you're serious, check out the ASCA website (www.safeclimbing.org) and the EDUCATION section. They recommend Hilti HSL (sleeve expansion anchors; 12mm, so not compatible with your 3/8 setup) and another Hilti 3/8" wedge bolt. Not sure about the grade (I'm assuming stainless steel, regardless), but I'm sure you can find answers on there. Length of bolt will depend on rock type, as will the style of the bolt (wedge, sleeve, etc.).

Now watch as everyone tries to flame me down for offering an honest opinion.