[TR] Mt Snoqualmie- Slot Couloir 2/12/2006

AlpineK

Climb: Mt Snoqualmie-Slot Couloir

Date of Climb: 2/12/2006

Trip Report:

I was planning on working around the house on Sunday, but Jeff H called me up with tails of powder on North facing slopes at Crystal on Friday. Anyway we decided to head up to Alpental and ski the Slot Couloir.

We boot packed past the waterfall and then skinned up the Phantom slide. The snow was hard and for the last quarter of the hike up we ended up boot packing. Unfortunately our dreams of powder were crushed when we started skiing down the icy couloir. The ski down ended up being a a excercise in focus...jump, stick edges, slide, jump...

I looked up the Crooked Couloir when were down and noted a couple big ice buldges at the crux and signs that everybody had sidestepped past the hard part. The snow's pretty hard in the basin below the couloir.

After hiking back up to the South side it became all about spring skiing. We skied some nice corn all the way to the waterfall. The snow at the waterfall was a little too soft, but we were soon back at the car.

It wasn't everything I had hoped for, but it was a fun day out in the sun.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic