new route up silver pk ?

marek

it start,s from the lk.anette trail,but instead going all way to the lake go up and left just past the first culuar and an oppenning.after few

minutes of going up yo will see second culuar on your right,continue up a more and more defined

buttress at an angle of 40 deg with steeper steps.

this buttress will take you all way to nw ridge of silver.as an indicator you will have a prominent rocky feature on your right skyline as you go up.once on the ridge it,s easy going to the summit of silver(1/2mile).i do not think this is a new route but a forgotten one.i climbed it with mr mvs the last week of december and we called it "polish- american bliss"

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thank,s dru for your correction.it will take me some more years to have it 100% in english.

i do not think the route had been skied or snowborded,there is too many trees.but the couloir

for sure must have been done by a competent guy.

also,i forgot to mention we got down the south ridge of silver and gaged mt abiel via e.ridge.

back from the saddle got down easy slopes under north face of abiel and down to the lake.i found it to be very safe in avalanche conditions.a good back up trip.

MNo worries marek you should see me try to speak Polskje. Good on you for getting out there and peak bagging.

The reference to a 420 was not "more than a 360" but a joke that erik, capt, smoky mc, willstrickedout etc will understand. grin.gif" border="0

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

toast

do not know the exact elevation for the turn.best follow the trail as best as you can to the long traverse to lk,anette,then you will pass the first couloir (about 30 ft wide) then shortly an oppening.start going up on the far side of the oppening ,you will see another gutter on the right (just keep it on the right)

the forested slope will slowly narrow with some rocks and trees.40-45 deg.that will go up to nw ridge of silver) take right

for about a 3/4 mile to the summit.up to that point its very avi safe,no problem.the slope going down to the col. with abiel is wide and open at first but then there is trees and getting flat.

so the only danger could be the upper slope of silver.as far as

abiel,it could be done in some problematic snow since there is plenty of trees for protection.all you need is ice ax and crampons.on the way down go down and under the north face of abiel and then go down to the west side of the lk.the trail back is at the nw corner of the lk,

marek