specificity training with crossfit

crackers

can't spell today. sorry.

Anybody have any bright ideas for integrating climbing specific--ie climbing gym--workouts with crossfit? I'm just doing my crossfit either after or at another time of the day, and matching my endurance climbing to power crossfit.

Any thoughts / comments?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the things I do it try to make my climbing workouts crossfit-like. One of my favorite things to do is to see how fast I can climb all the V0/1s in the gym. Or if you don't care about looking goofy in the gym to can drop and do sets of 20 pushups between routes.

If you have access to the equipment you can also do crossfit workouts which integrate rope, cargo net, or inverted ladder climbs; some of these workouts get posted as WODs on the website.

Other than that you can focus on pulling movements. Like power cleans, rowing, snatches.

We also see that lots of climbers come in to crossfit with extremely stiff shoulders. So working stuff that emphasizes shoulder flexibility such as pass throughs, hand stands, dips, overhead squats also seem to help with these issues and should complement the climbing training.

One of the things I do it try to make my climbing workouts crossfit-like. One of my favorite things to do is to see how fast I can climb all the V0/1s in the gym. Or if you don't care about looking goofy in the gym to can drop and do sets of 20 pushups between routes.

If you have access to the equipment you can also do crossfit workouts which integrate rope, cargo net, or inverted ladder climbs; some of these workouts get posted as WODs on the website.

Other than that you can focus on pulling movements. Like power cleans, rowing, snatches.

We also see that lots of climbers come in to crossfit with extremely stiff shoulders. So working stuff that emphasizes shoulder flexibility such as pass throughs, hand stands, dips, overhead squats also seem to help with these issues and should complement the climbing training.

This is the most practical suggestion I've read in the fitness forum. Right on.

as read on crossfit, it is meant mostly for athletes. So it should be done in conjuction with what ever it is you do , here it is climbing. But you can tailor the WO's to fit your training and to work you weaknesses. There is nothing stating that we have to do the suggested WOD each day and follow the site. You can put together a Chipper workout which is 5-10 things you put together say 50 pull ups, 21 thrusters, 21 kettlebells swings and so on. So call it Fire and forget. But again I just may have a different view on things but I hope this helps.

No, I am not interested in doing 5.9s in the mountains. That's either too hard (Grey Thompson and his 5.9A2 routes in glacier come to mind) or too easy...

While I have spent much of the past two years in a factory making backpacks, i did get out everyonce in a while to climb. I'm hoping to be back to leading 11 in the gunks again this spring and hopefully bring a good strong level to the mountains as well. I do my WODs but I know --from over 10 years as a competitive athelete of one type or another-- that i need to bring specificity in to play or I won't develop the necessary recruitment.

I actually have been doing the all the V0s, followed by 3 minutes off, all the V1's type of stacking, but I really lack the understanding about the specific physiology of climbing to comprehend what I'm after in movement. For example, Performance Rock Climbing would have me doing 3-6 move problems to develop my recruitment. Is that enough?

Honestly, I hate pulling on plastic when I'm in new york because i don't enjoy the gyms here. So I am looking for the most efficient regime to balance my power training and GAET training with a recruitment and climbing GAET foundation to build on as soon as it gets drier.

Any other ideas downfall? Thanks in Advance...

I'm no 5.11 climber so what the real path there utilizing crossfit is probably best getting from the likes of Rob Miller (PM me if you want and I might be able to get some contact info for him) who was mentioned in linked post from NYC007. That post says he does WOD as perscribed but I know he does lots of pullup work too (like kipping pullups to above the bar, dynamic pullups grabbing a higher bar, and stuff like that).

So maybe I'm confused at what you are looking for but CF should provide you with the Power and GAET training. So I would drop those programs and focus on CF. WRT recruitment, some crossfitters will say its overrated/unnecessary, for example there are stories of crossfitters going in to triathalons with little to non sport specific training apart from the WODs and come out on the podium.

Climbing 5.11 is different than triathalons though. And there is that Will Gadd article that floats around on here sometimes about training pullups didn't equate to him being a good climber but training recruitment/climbing movements did.

One thing that the movements I mentioned above will give you over doing your typical climbing non-climbing recruitements exercises (like lat pull machine . . .) is that you body will be working in a functional way which is how the movement happens in climbing (not necessarily the same movement but your muscle systems will be coordinated and working together not isolated and trained independently). Getting real strong on power cleans probably won't make you a 5.11 climber when you hit the rock but you probably will have a better foundation for building those climbing skill than if you spent the winter doing lat pulls.

For example, Performance Rock Climbing would have me doing 3-6 move problems to develop my recruitment. Is that enough?

Honestly, I hate pulling on plastic when I'm in new york because i don't enjoy the gyms here. So I am looking for the most efficient regime to balance my power training and GAET training with a recruitment and climbing GAET foundation to build on as soon as it gets drier.

three to six moves is plenty if you're focusing on power, which is prolly what the book is talking about with this routine. i would imagine the book recommends those moves to all be near your strength limit?

if yer wanting 5.11 trad stamina, i'd focus on 6-10 move V1's 2's and 3's, running timed laps on them, and doing it a few times a week. i think your book might talk about it.

I found that mike anderson posted his training strategy over on rc, and i think i'm going to use that for the climbing aspects.

Now my question is whether i should do xfit hypertrophy stuff on the same days that i'm doing fingerboard hypertrophy or do those on alternate days...

It sounds like you want a formula crackers, if someone told you to "Do x, y, z on days a, b, c then you'll be a 5.11 climber." don't you think there would be 1 training program out there that everyone used and 5.11 climbers would be a dime a dozen? If you want to climb at that level I don't think its going to come down to whether you do you campus board workout on the same day you do crossfit. There is no magic formula. If you want it you will make it happen.

It seems to me you don't want it bad enough and you're looking for an easy path where no easy path exists.

Not to be too picky, but remember that training to increase power is a lot different than training to increase strength.

You have to be careful about your nomenclature here. Power is a function of speed versus force, as opposed to strength which is really just weight.

The thing is, this time i'm trying to do it with a minimum of effort (which i describe as the limit called TIME). Its not an easy path, its the most rational path: I'd rather work out for an hour in the climbing gym than hang out socializing for three hours.

Therefore, for the first time, i am trying to train while climbing in the gym rather than just climb without structure and hanging out. I want to achieve the best results with a minimum of waste and without injury. People on this board talk about crossfitting, and I was trying to find out whether they blended crossfit with their climbing workouts, or fit those climbing workouts into a system.

thanks.

I just watched the "nasty girls" video in the WOD video section. Now, I don't even want to work out. My little pansy ass workout is shit compared to those girls.

I have just started reading about crossfit. Looks interesting. I can see where gains could be made. Trying to put a better workout together looks challenging.

Start new job in 2 weeks:

Another construction job. Some days, it feels like a tough WOD.

Daily commute, to work, on bike (14 miles round trip). 4 days out of the week.

Long ride on the weekend.

would like to work in "stair work" one day out of the week. Need to increase endurance in the mountains.

Now to work in a crossfit, WOD plan without just feeling whipped.

Sould be fun to try to figure out.

Check out fight gone bad or any of the videos on gymjones.com ...

I do stairs with pack twice a week, as a rest day morning thing. I don't go for time or anything, just at a comfortable pace, for about half a hour to fourty five minutes. I take the stairs up and the elevator down, and I do about a hundred flights.

Last summer I was working as a mover and trying to crossfit at the same time. It was pretty fcking brutal at first, but then it got okay. The problem is that crossfit uses a lot of the same muscles and just enough different muscules to kill.

I'm having a real hard time doing hypertrophy crossfit and climbing gym on the same day.

• 1 month later...