For film shooting dinosaurs like me...

griz

The future is getting more and more grim for us hold outs... hellno3d.gifcry.gif

goddammit!!!!

I wonder how long it will be til I can't buy Fuji Velvia or Tri-X ,too?

Story:

Thursday, January 12, 2006 · Last updated 2:57 p.m. PT

Nikon to concentrate on digital cameras

By PETER SVENSSON

AP TECHNOLOGY WRITER

NEW YORK -- Nikon Corp., which helped popularize the 35mm camera five decades ago, will stop making most of its film cameras to concentrate on digital models.

The Japanese company said it wanted to focus on "business categories that continue to demonstrate the strongest growth" as film cameras sales keep shrinking.

Nikon will discontinue seven film-camera models, leaving in production only the current top-line model, the F6, and a low-end manual-focus model, the FM10.

It will also stop making most of its manual-focus lenses.

Most of the company's autofocus lenses work with manual-focus bodies, however. Also, German optical company Carl Zeiss AG is widely reported to be planning a line of manual-focus lenses for Nikon bodies.

Nikon did not give firm dates for the discontinuation of its products, but said Wednesday that sales will cease as supplies are depleted.

Major competitor Canon Inc. still makes five models of single-lens reflex film cameras. At the lower end of the market, Eastman Kodak Co. announced in 2004 that it would stop selling film cameras in the United States and Europe.

Nikon ranks fifth in digital-camera shipments in the United States, behind Kodak, Canon, Sony Corp. and Fuji Photo Film Co.

Nikon was a major force in establishing the dominance of the 35mm single-lens reflex camera, the workhorse of professionals and sophisticated amateurs until the arrival of digital cameras.

Its breakthrough model was the F, released in 1959. It set a standard for ruggedness and reliability and became a must-have for photojournalists.

Unusually, Nikon has maintained the same lens mount over the years, meaning most lenses from 1959 will fit today's digital models and vice versa, albeit with functional restrictions.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This also came up on my large format photography bulletin board but no one is really worried. Most of the point being that the Nikon guys were talking to tech people in a tech rag so of course they're going to tout their digital stuff. Notice they're keeping their top of the line cameras. Film isn't going away.

The only film camera Nikon is still making is the F6 - they farmed out production of the FM10 to Cosina. Since nobody was buying new film bodies (who in their right mind would with used film stuff some damn cheap now), and nikon wasn't making any even if they were considered "in production" no bfd. Film will still be available for a long, long time. Shit 120 format is 105 years old!

(who in their right mind would with used film stuff some damn cheap now),

yeah, no joke. i recently discovered ebay and slr's. good god, i picked up 3 6006's for $25-45 each. Now with this news I'm gonna really start stockpiling fm2's and f4's too.

I love the digital darkroom these days,uploading to a good lab and not soaking in chemicals but I've gotta have an original neg or slide to start with. Life without film would be very depressing indeed. I hope you guys are right and they have to pry that roll of film out of my cold,dead hand.

I do miss a B&W darkroom and getting lost in there til dawn!

CJ have you seen any price lists for the nikon/zeiss lens?

Foraker, I used to shoot 4x5 a long time ago. I wish my knees could still carry that kind of load! The prints are almost worth the suffering though.

I found this on the zeiss site about film's future... hopeful..

Issue No. 23

January 2006

How about the Future of Film?

Since Carl Zeiss introduced the Zeiss Ikon rangefinder camera system - a 35 mm film camera - we keep receiving questions about our belief in the future of film.

In an era of digital hype, many people interested in high quality photo equipment question an investment in film-based gear. Even those who very well understand and appreciate the aspects in which film is clearly superior to digital imagery keep asking us: "Will film be available for me to operate my Zeiss Ikon camera in the future?"

We know that a variety of documentation applications of extreme importance rely heavily on silver halide film - if not for image origination, then at least for image archiving. Military aerial reconnaissance (often with Carl Zeiss aerial cameras and lenses) today relies on digital technology for immediate availability, but continues to use film for reliable long-term storage.

And so does "Hollywood". Carl Zeiss, as a leading supplier of lenses for the motion picture industry, can see day-in day-out, that the vast majority of feature films is still originated on silver halide film. Film is the medium of choice for long-term archiving, and is expected to remain so for the foreseeable future. This is why we are so confident about the future of film

And how about Fujifilm and Kodak?

During a recent industry association meeting, we had the opportunity to speak about the future of film with Helmut Rupsch, Business General Manager, Fujifilm-Düsseldorf and Rainer Dick, Business General Manager, Kodak Digital & Film Imaging Systems. Though both companies have been experiencing declining film sales over the last two years, as the amateur and professional photography markets transition from analog to digital, both gentlemen report still very healthy business with film. These two industry representatives, who are in a position to know the facts, confirm that neither company is considering stopping film manufacture. Both gentlemen are confident that their companies will continue to supply film – usable in the ZI camera and others – for decades to come. back

subscribe Newsletter

January 19, 2006

Since our foundation in 1934, we have been developing our business in photosensitive materials on a global scale, thanks to the support and patronage of general consumers, retailers, photograph wholesalers, and various others. The unexpectedly rapid shift toward digitalization has greatly reduced demand for films and photographic products. The entire photography industry, including our company, has been put in a difficult market situation. In order to respond these difficult market changes, we are currently proceeding with comprehensive structural reforms.

Despite the current challenges, we believe that photography is indispensable to humankind because of its ability to express such precious things as joy, sadness, love and the full spectrum of emotions. Our mission is to preserve and nurture the culture of photography to meet the needs of our longtime customers. Silver halide photography, which is fundamental to photography, has advantages over digital in such areas as power of expression, long term storage capability, reasonable prices, easy handling and a highly established and convenient photo development and print infrastructure.

We intend to continue our silver halide photography business and to further cultivate the culture of photography, and in so doing, continue to support our customers and retailers and all those who enjoy photography.

Media Contact:

Fuji Photo Film Co., Ltd.

Corporate Communications Division, Public Relations Division

Tel: 81-3-3406-2490