Talk about a sense of entitlement

foraker

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, part of it is difficulties managing funds. Part of it is housing costs, medical care, and other necessities in major metropolitan areas have increased substantially in the past 30 years as a % of real income. Yeah, it is harder to get ahead when things cost more.

And the fact it's harder to get ahead has nothing to do with a bigger government and higher taxes of course. That's all taxes, by the way, not just the Federal Income Tax. wave.gif

The funny thing is, I consistently vote for education funding (when it isn't some stupid bond trying to cover over the mistakes of some local school board's mismangement) as do most of the people I know from 'my generation' because we see education funding as an investment in the future of people and the country. Now, if you want to major in, say, art history and then try to live in downtown San Francisco and have a car and toys, etc, then you've made an economic decision that I have no control over. I'm not going to raise my taxes so you can have a cushy life style after you graduated. At the end of 1985, I had approximately $25,000 in student loan debt. I managed to pay that off during the years I was a grad student and a post doc, during which time I had very little spare cash but I didn't whine because I'd made a conscious choice about my career. Now, after all that hard work and sacrifice, it pays off. And yet, I still vote for education funding. If you screw up the opportunities that I vote for by making bad economic choices, that's not my problem.

The funny thing is, I consistently vote for education funding (when it isn't some stupid bond trying to cover over the mistakes of some local school board's mismangement) as do most of the people I know from 'my generation' because we see education funding as an investment in the future of people and the country. Now, if you want to major in, say, art history and then try to live in downtown San Francisco and have a car and toys, etc, then you've made an economic decision that I have no control over. I'm not going to raise my taxes so you can have a cushy life style after you graduated. At the end of 1985, I had approximately $25,000 in student loan debt. I managed to pay that off during the years I was a grad student and a post doc, during which time I had very little spare cash but I didn't whine because I'd made a conscious choice about my career. Now, after all that hard work and sacrifice, it pays off. And yet, I still vote for education funding. If you screw up the opportunities that I vote for by making bad economic choices, that's not my problem.

our public schools need to include household budgeting / expense management / fiscal responsibility in secondary school curricula, IMO. Most of the populace is woefully ignorant about budgeting, saving, living within your means, investment, etc.

Just a thought from someone who graduated three years ago with a completly worthless (economically speaking) degree in recreation...the need to keep up with the Jones's is a tremendous social pressure IMHO. Only by living in a deeply economically depressed region are my wife and I able to manage our combined $60K college debt, save some money each month, and enjoy a lifestyle that doesn't leave us feeling like white trash...Although credit cards have supported several climbing trips over the last few years, we have no credit card debt...I have no idea how people like us live in a place like Seattle without financially overextending themselves particularly when it seems to me that surrounding oneself with affluence only leads to an increased desired to be affluent. Furthermore, about the comment above regarding the arts degree living in San Fran. It seems to me that the (recent?) focus on education at a liberal arts college has brought many of my peers to their financial knees. My parents both have degrees that directly apply to a career...forestry and education. Many of my freinds went to college not knowing what they wanted, or ready to settle into a "career". We have BAs in BS...recreation, english literature, fine arts, latin, etc...that have assuaged our parents' need for us to be college educated and left us expecting the rewards that our parents enjoyed.

bfiles--not trying to be argumentitive but maybe your location of eastern oregon is what makes your recreation degree worthless? or perhaps you haven't found the right work experience? plenty of people find their way in the recreation field. some do better than others but i wouldn't blame the degree for that. i'd say that's more planning, talent and timing than education. admittedly it's not overall as lucrative as more technical fields but there's decent money to be made.

It's harder to get ahead when you have a $19,000 worth of 'must have' goodies on your credit card....

Yeah. It's the credit card company's fault... not the toolshed with the Audi, fancy new rack, ArcTeryx gear and $30K in CC debt.

That was kind of my point....

It's harder to get ahead when you have a $19,000 worth of 'must have' goodies on your credit card....

Yeah. It's the credit card company's fault... not the toolshed with the Audi, fancy new rack, ArcTeryx gear and $30K in CC debt.

That was kind of my point....

And it's only 25% of their debt.....

this sounds so much like the welfare debate - assume that all persons in XYZ situation are there solely from poor personal decisions based on (possibly) extreme examples.

No, based on the assumption of someone with a pricey education that they now have to repay, working at a job that apparently doesn't pay very much, living in one of the most expensive cities in the country apparently putting a lot of stuff on their credit card. That assumption. That too hard to understand?

No, based on the assumption of someone with a pricey education that they now have to repay, working at a job that apparently doesn't pay very much, living in one of the most expensive cities in the country apparently putting a lot of stuff on their credit card. That assumption. That too hard to understand?

I think this is perfectly clear. And it is a completely different situation than most welfare/below-poverty situations that people find themselves in.

I got that at the beginning. Thanks. Again, that doesn't apply to everyone.

Just don't complain when we don't have qualified teachers (doesn't pay enough for well-educated people), politics goes to the rich (doesn't pay enough at the beginning, again), and on, and on. I trust you are bright enough to connect those dots.

Those poor could move somewhere cheaper and get a fucking job too. Hey, that's the argument republicans use.