Need Geeks - Google Images - How does it work?

griz

I'm pretty clueless on websites and google but I've been working on my first website for about a month now w/ dreamweaver... If someone does a google search on say "Wind Rivers" then what would I put on the page or image so my pictures would show up in that search?

What/ where does it look for this info? Does it pull from content on the page? keywords/meta tags on the page? the actual filename like "windriverspic1.jpg"?

Thanks,

Clueless in Colorado

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Griz,

I believe you are referring to what folks in the Web biz call 'meta tags'. These go in the <head> section at the top of your Web page. You will have to look at the source code to view this, or Dreamweaver might have a wysiwyg editor for meta tags. Below is a sample header from a Web page I built for work to give you an idea.

You will notice there are a couple of types of meta tags, one of key words that are basically words one might type into google, the other is a descriptive sentence or two that describes the content of the Web page.

<head>

<title>Streams Water Quality Data, King County, Washington</title>

<meta content="streams, bacteria, pollution, fecal coliform,temperature,wria 8, wria 9, turbidity,total suspended solids,nutrients,total phosphorus,total nitrogen,pH, dissolved oxygen,king county"

name="keywords">

<meta content="Streams monitoring data in King County streams, Washington State"

name="description">

<meta content="daniel.smith@metrokc.gov" name="author">

<meta content="http://dnr.metrokc.gov/wlr/waterres/streamdata/index.htm" name="URL">

</head>

For a page of photos of the Wind Rivers, I might put something like the following:

<meta content="photos,images,wind rivers,range,mountains,wyoming,warbonnet,wolfs head,pingora,rock climbing,mountain climbing,climbing" name="keywords">

<meta content="Photos of climbing in the Wind River Range of Wyoming" name="description">

I also recall hearing that Google looks at page headers and titles in its search algorythm, so having a descriptive page header is helpful.

i.e. 'Griz's Home Page' would not rank as high as 'Photos and stories of mountain climbing in the Wind River Range in Wyoming.'

Hope that helps.

Edited by danielpatricksmith

Google does all kinds of things to determine page rankings. They don't use keywords as much as in the past, since they have become so adept at determining a page's true value to the web user. If you want your photos to be found in a search, go ahead and put in the keywords, but you should also include these words in descriptive text throughout the page.

The most important thing to quality Google rankings these days seems to be to get popular sites to link to your page. For instance, if cnn.com did an article about your images and linked to your page, your rank would bump up significantly. It's too easy to fake keywords, etc, and Google has a remarkable knack for digging through the crap on the web.

I'm pretty sure Google totally ignores keywords in the <meta> tags. I think all that really counts are things actual web surfers SEE. So what's in the <title></title> counts, but that meta stuff doesn't count as far as Google cares. It may still make a difference for Yahoo. Usually the title of a page is what you get as the link on your google searches, unless there isn't a title. What's really funny and goofy is when people use WYSIWYG editors and don't enter a title. Eventually the page might show on google searches, and it'll say 'Untitled Document'.

It helps to put your pages into Yahoo. You're allowed to enter things in Yahoo manually. Once it's there, those are links to your site that will count for Google.